Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer started burning now it wont do anything

• Please log in to reply

r55741

r55741

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
hi thanks in advance i will try to be quick

pc specs
p4 3.06 ht
asus p4 p800 e deluxe
corsair 3200 512mb ram x 2
2 160gb seagate hard drives
4 fans
6800gt bfg factory oced

1 my 4 year old computer started to get slow
2 i try to plug in a wusb54g lynksis wireless device, as soon as i do the computer shuts down and burning smell comes out of psu (its a antec truepower430)
3 i tried turning on computer again. it would shut down within 2-3 seconds
4 buy and install new antec truepower430 II computer does the same thing exept it restarts by itself. burning smell comes out all thought im not sure from where
5 i disconnect everything turn on again and now no smoke comes out and computer stays on but no beeps are heard from bios.
6 i remove ram and leave only one stick
7 turn on computer and nothin happens no fans no nothing. but mobo has green led on so there is power.
8 ok i took out mobo from case disconect everything exept video card and power on switch and it seems to load up again.
but no screen
(update)9 i tried new working ram stick from friend and i get the same results- black screen

btw i followed all the steps on the gide on this forum

i have electrical tester and can test whatever if it is useful

any ideas?

Edited by r55741, 15 January 2007 - 09:37 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sounds like the motherboard is gone if you get no bios beeps.

Normal troubleshooting method is to install only cpu,ram,vid card,monitor, keyboard, and mouse. The computer should power up and boot to bios.

If you pull the vid card, or the ram, you should definitely get some beeping. If you don't, it's probably the motherboard.

The other scenario is that you blew the PS again. Since you do have a meter, what you can do is pull the power supply out of the chassis. Make sure none of the wires are touching each other. Short out (use a paper clip) pins 14 and 15 on the main ATX connector (see this link ) and then measure the voltages. It is not recommended to leave the short in place for an extended amount of time, so measure quickly, and carefully. If all power is present, then I think the motherboard fried.

Good luck!

r55741

r55741

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
makai

thanks for the prompt response

i have tested both psu s for 12v1, 12v2, 5v, +3.3v acording to antec instructions

they both tested acurately though the new psu tested 5.10 on 5v not sure if that will be a prob..

i assume i do not need to short the psu to test it anymore?

i believe i have another mobo somewhere but if i cant find it is there a away to test the currient mobo or processor with a tester?

and is it likely that the processor is damaged? i would like to know because i have to return the new psu to newegg within 15 days in order to get a a refund. but if i}m getting a new system i will just sell the old one and keep the new one

thx

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The voltages seem fine... even the 5v... so no need to do a separate PS test.

Sorry, there's no way I know of to test the CPU separately unless you can install it into another MB. The motherboard also can't be checked unless you have another CPU. The good thing is that with all the hardware I've worked over the years, it was never the CPU that fried. It was always the MB.

When you plugged in the USB device, did you plug it in to the front USB port? I've heard that on some ASUS motherboards, using the front usb port can sometimes blow the port out. I can't imagine that this is the norm, but I have heard it happening. Maybe the port blew something on the motherboard.

I really think your MB is gone since you can't get any beeps. I don't know what else to recommend other than trying to find your spare MB and testing the CPU (if it's the same socket).

Let me know how it goes.

makai

r55741

r55741

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

When you plugged in the USB device, did you plug it in to the front USB port? I've heard that on some ASUS motherboards, using the front usb port can sometimes blow the port out. I can't imagine that this is the norm, but I have heard it happening. Maybe the port blew something on the motherboard.

makai

thats exactly what i did plugged into the front usb port and off it went. i tend to plug in different devices but this was the first time i had tried the linksys adapter on that port (or the computer all together)

so that probably did it.

i did try another mobo just right now, a LANParty PRO875B i used to use with this same setup. but i get the same results no beeps no screen.

uppon visual inspection i did notice the thermal paste was all dried up on the processor it was just old crust

this is all done on a cardboard outside the case btw

i should add this computer was rarely turned off..so it was all 4 years powered up. the asus mobo and video card are the only things i bought new a couple of years ago.

from now i dont know what to do because i dont have any more processors or parts i do have another video card..i think ill test it just in case. but thats about it. :whistling:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Bummers! Now it's looking like the CPU! No beeps at all is not good, especially since you changed the MB. I would hate to think the CPU got fried... actually, I can't imagine it did, but you never know.

I wonder if the new PSU is actually damaged. It's not uncommon that the unloaded voltage will measure correctly, but as soon as it's loaded, it won't regulate. Can you measure the voltages while the PSU is connected to the MB? Can you borrow another PSU from someone just to isolate a little further?

makai

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
also, is there any burnt marks anywhere on the CPU? even the mobo? maybe the psu got fried from the CPU. IT probably went throughout the whole computer.

r55741

r55741

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

I wonder if the new PSU is actually damaged. It's not uncommon that the unloaded voltage will measure correctly, but as soon as it's loaded, it won't regulate. Can you measure the voltages while the PSU is connected to the MB? Can you borrow another PSU from someone just to isolate a little further?

makai

i put on another old psu that outputs 95 watts.

it did the same thing except this time some type of alarm went off after 10 seconds. i cant tell where the noise is coming from but im guessing its the video card asking for more power.

i tried powering it on without the processor mounted and it did the same thing but no alarm went off it just stayed on with a black screen

also, is there any burnt marks anywhere on the CPU? even the mobo? maybe the psu got fried from the CPU. IT probably went throughout the whole computer.

i cant see anything abnormal everything looks fine

i tried sniffing everywhere but i cant find where that burning smell was coming from.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I would really try to borrow another PSU, (higher power than 95w), if possible, before giving in to a bad processor. The alarm may be a good sign that the bios was "grumbling". It goes through checks on the vid card, ram, cpu, keyboard and will grumble if it thinks something is missing. The fact that it grumbled may be a sign that it's still alive (possibly good motherboard). Also, the bios may or may not even activate without a processor installed... although I never had a reason to ever try that. I know it's a hassle to keep troubleshooting, but it better than spending money on another CPU to find out its a PSU problem.

makai

r55741

r55741

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

I would really try to borrow another PSU, (higher power than 95w), if possible, before giving in to a bad processor. The alarm may be a good sign that the bios was "grumbling". It goes through checks on the vid card, ram, cpu, keyboard and will grumble if it thinks something is missing. The fact that it grumbled may be a sign that it's still alive (possibly good motherboard). Also, the bios may or may not even activate without a processor installed... although I never had a reason to ever try that. I know it's a hassle to keep troubleshooting, but it better than spending money on another CPU to find out its a PSU problem.

makai

I got a hold of a 250watt psu tried the asus original mobo ram and video card but got the same results black screen

i tried disconnected the video card then took out the processor...get the same results

i have one of those fancy corsair ram sticks with a bunch of leds on it. when the pc was working they would all power on and show activity, now only one led goes on steay in the midle

should the mobo beep without the processor on? cause i tried both mobos without the processor and nothing
changed

i think the next option is to get a new processor..i think in that case i will just try to get a Core 2 Duo E6300 (wich is actually about 20 bucks cheaper) with mobo but im not sure if my agp video card 3200 ram and other parts will fit.

any ideas are welcome i don't wanna spend too much but i don't think it worth it to get another p4

edit: the other thing i just noticed is my asus mobo is still under warranty (3 years)

Edited by r55741, 16 January 2007 - 08:49 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

should the mobo beep without the processor on?

Like I mentioned in my last post, I never really had a reason to try powering up without a processor, so I can't answer your question with any certainty. I've built a lot of systems (over 25), but unfortunately, I don't have anything lying around at the moment that I could test. I would certainly try it if I could.

What I do know is that if your machine is built up enough to boot, and you remove either the vid card or the ram, you will definitely cause your bios to start beeping. If you get no beeps, then it's either a corrupted bios, or a dead motherboard. By the way, did you try resetting the bios by pulling out the battery??? I can't remember if ASUS mbs need to also short out a reset jumper. The info should be in your manual.

i have one of those fancy corsair ram sticks with a bunch of leds on it. when the pc was working they would all power on and show activity, now only one led goes on steay in the midle

The ram you have probably runs at 2.5v. Something surely looks bad with either the PSU or the motherboard. Since you just replaced the PSU, it's again pointing to the motherboard.

edit: the other thing i just noticed is my asus mobo is still under warranty (3 years)

You might call ASUS and request an RMA. Even if you go with a new Duo setup, it wouldn't hurt to have a spare P4 motherboard lying around just in case. Right now ebay has quite a few P4s on auction. I was even thinking of picking up a spare 3.2Ghz processor myself. I've seen them go for as cheap as $110!

i think the next option is to get a new processor..i think in that case i will just try to get a Core 2 Duo E6300 (wich is actually about 20 bucks cheaper) with mobo but im not sure if my agp video card 3200 ram and other parts will fit.

I'm truly not up to Duo core technology yet, but I think you will need DDR2 ram modules. Of course, the motherboard will also determine if you can use your AGP card. I haven't had a reason to upgrade myself, so I'm still running my Abit IS7G, P4 3.2GHZ system.

You seem to know what you're doing system-wise. I really wish we could have isolated your problem, but it looks like you're going to have to do more work. I would RMA the motherboard for sure, then try another go before possibly getting another CPU... if you decide to still fix and run your P4, that is.

makai

r55741

r55741

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
thanks a lot i think i will get one of those 20 buck pentium 4 to test the mobo and sell wich ever one didnt burn

and upgrade to a new mobo and core duo

i will update to see how it goes

r55741

r55741

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
hi

i just got a new mobo and processor yesterday. and it does the same thing. black screen but this time it will only power up for a sec the cpu fan will spin for a fraction of a second before it shuts off. sometimes it restarts by itself. or the mobo will beep like some kind of alarm.

so i tried all the parts new and its still doing the same. :whistling: i really don't kno what to do

the only explanation would be that the new parts are getting burned cause of some other issue

the entire computer is grounded and hooked up to a belkin back up power thing so it unlikely there is something up with the voltage

now i have all these parts laying around 300 bucks 2 weeks later and no computer..

i will make more tests with each part on another computer and report back..

Edited by r55741, 25 January 2007 - 09:48 AM.

r55741

r55741

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
i tested the ram, video card and both psu on my friends computer they all work fine

i tried booting up with only the video card, ram new mobo and new cpu on a piece of cartboard and it still gives me a black screen and system reboots 1 time.

any ideas? :whistling:

thanks