Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

window xp blank screen after the loadup window thingy

• Please log in to reply

sh4d0wr3c0n

sh4d0wr3c0n

• Pip
  • 5 posts
ok im pretty noobish with comps, i just use them and get programs to protect my comp
but for some reason, like hour ago, i went afk for lik 3 mins and came back, my comp had a blank screen, like a black screen, the tower thingy, you know how the turn on button is near the bottom or watever, and theres lik a light below it and its suppose to be green. If its like orange instead of green is that bad?? or bad bad?? or really bad??? or wat??

cause im such a noob with computers and stupid, (still trying to figure out how to back up files) i didnt back up my files and i had my freaken college hw in there. So plz reply asap plz

ps: my nod32 antivirus detected a trojan in my ad-aware se professional folder and like half a hr later in my avg anti virus folder. 4got the virus name, but when i scanned it with adaware, avg, and nod32, it said it was clean. so not sure if that could be the problem but plz help. Im on my labtop atm so the prob is on my newish comp which was fixed like 2 months ago

-sh4d0wr3c0n

Edited by sh4d0wr3c0n, 16 January 2007 - 12:40 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you restarted the PC

sh4d0wr3c0n

sh4d0wr3c0n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yea i restarted it, the screen is still blank after the window loading thing, and that light was still orange
i was only gone for 3 mins

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is the screen black with a flashing cursor top left?

sh4d0wr3c0n

sh4d0wr3c0n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
neg, just a blank screen

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the desktop picture, no icons, press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to get task manager, click file, new task, type explorer.exe and click OK

If you get the icons, reboot to checks it loads properly, if it does not, do the same to get task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow then click OK

sh4d0wr3c0n

sh4d0wr3c0n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
actually i cant see my desktop pic nor anything
i just restarted and went to safe mode, waiting for it to load, right now the screen is full of all these different kinds of drivers, and has been like that for 5 or so mins

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If this does not run, have you got the XP CD

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

sh4d0wr3c0n

sh4d0wr3c0n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
alrite i got it fix, thks for the help

another quick question
i have avg free and nod32
which one should i keep and which one should i uninstall?
and wats the best free antivirus out there?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Keep NOD32 if you already paid for it, otherwise AVG Free with AVG Free Anti Spyware is good

NOD32 is highly regarded, though if I say best you will spend all day reading posts about alternatives :whistling: