Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I killed my computer? PSU fault?

• Please log in to reply

coffee123

coffee123

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

Here are my specs:

AMD'64 3200
2gig ram 2x1gig
Radeon 9800pro AGP
160gig hd SATA
450Watt PSU with an extra 4pin 12v as well as a regulat power connector.

So I build the system about 4 months ago, all going well till today when I put the computer in Standby (as ive done many many times), I then pressed the reset button by mistake (not sure if this is relevant or not) instead of the power button to bring the computer back from standby.... Nothing happened it didn't reset or leave standby, I had to switch it off from the plug.

When I powered it back up the computer will not boot. The system is getting power, all the fans are spinning, my HD and PW lights are on but it wont boot the strange thing is is that my PSU is now giving out a loud high pitch sound (which it never did b4).

Ive taken out all my drives, but still no luck and still the scary loud high pitch sound. My impression is that the PSU has some how failed and might need replacing. I have a spare PSU in the house but it does not have the extra 4pin 12v connector and from when I build the system I needed that plugged in to get it to boot.

Would you guys put your money on the PSU being the problem? I cant test my CPU as I dont have another AMD'64 pc.

This not what I wanted the day WOW:TBC lands on my door mat :whistling:

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hey whats up coffee,

When you power on, can you hear the sound from the PSU?

Also, you really should not put a desktop onto stand by, its really ment for laptops so they can save battery life. It has a hard time getting back to the desktop.

coffee123

coffee123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks fo rthe fast reply.

When the PSU is on at the plug but the PC is not I can hear a slight high pitch sound from the PSU (not sure if it was there b4) but i do have to get close to hear it.

When I press the power button on the PC to boot it up, the PSU comes to life and the high pitch sound kicks in, starting with a low volume then getting realy high after about 10 seconds.

and trust me if i ever get my PC running, im never going into standby.. ill turn off cool'n'quite too.

Edited by coffee123, 16 January 2007 - 10:39 AM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
So the sound is either coming from the CPU fan or the PSU.

Maybe the bearings died on the CPU fan as well. So you hear a loud sound coming from the PSU or the CPU Fan? That way we can diagonose on what happend.

ultimateslacker2

coffee123

coffee123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Its defo the PSU, i can change the speed of the cpu fan (external switch) and wether its on max or min the high pitch never changes, plus its very obviuosly its the PSU when you get close, the sound is also very electrical if you get what I mean and not somthing mechanical like bearings.

I just bought a new PSU from ebay to see if its the PSU. I'll post what happens next.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Alright, great. By the way, what kind did you buy and what kind was in the computer.. just asking..

coffee123

coffee123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Old PSU was a jeantech 450w (JN120F-450-AP) cost me about £35 from PC world a while back.

Just bought is a Sumvision 450w (KY2500 ATX) £20 - cheap but i dont want to splash out incase its not the PSU at fault.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Never heard of these brands. I should of recommended Antec or ThermalTake. They get it done.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Have you tryed resetting the CMOS? by the two pin jumper or button. It sounds like an error in the BIOS to me. Are you getting any beeps from the BIOS?

I doubt it will be a PSU problem as the fans are spinning and the power lights are on. Some PSUs do make a high pitch sound as i have a cheapo PSU which i took the 12cm Fan out of cause i didnt need the PSU and i was testing a PC with it and i could hear a high pitch sound but the pc was fine and working.

If it is the PSU you could buy a better quality one e.g Hiper, Antec, Thermaltake to make sure it wont happen again as the build quality and components are alot better on the more expensive ones.

coffee123

coffee123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah i reset the CMOS.. no luck, and I get no beeps from it at all.. also when it is turned on I cannot use the power button or reset button on the case, only way to turn it off is via the plug.

Still the PSU making that sound aint right and ive read an many forums a high pitch sound is a sign of a dieing or faulty PSU.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
It seems like it.. lets wait for the new PSU to come.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
could be a short circuit i had the exact same problem and was blaming the brand new PSU then tested the PSU and it was fine and i found out the switch of my neons one of the connectors was touching the case if u have a spare pc test it . If the Fans are spinning then the PSU should be fine as there is power going through the motherboard.

coffee123

coffee123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi guys,

I replaced the PSU today and everythings working. =D This PSU is a bit noisey though so i'll get another "silent" PSU in a while.

Thanks for the posts. :whistling:

Ozzyb

Ozzyb

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi coffee.
I know you have solved the problem now but !
Have you tryed to test the powersuppy on another machine before you bin it.
Only saying that because i had simular problems and it was just the reset button sticking / faulty/

Ozzy

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Thanks for the update!