Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE freezing up for a minute.

• Please log in to reply

sahyd2don

sahyd2don

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I am using P4 processor 1.70MHz, Windows XP professional,I have 128 MB ram and the firewall is always on.From the past few days when i open my IE browser my browser freeses for a minute.Earlier it was working verry fine.What could be the reason.I didnt make any changes in the settings.I always clean my cookies and TemInternet files and folders and also history.What could be the reason for it getting stucke for a minute.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
1. Try running the disk defragmenter (and run it regularly if you don't already).

2. Empty 'temporary internet files' after every long browsing session'.
There's a fast, sure and easy way of doing this using the free 'ccleaner' available here: http://www.ccleaner.com/

3. If using IE6, the size of the browser cache may be set too high (the default is too high). From within IE go to Tools>Internet Options. Under the 'General' tab, where it says "Temporary Internet Files" click "settings". Change the value of "disk space to use" to a figure between 50-250 (you can type it in exactly rather than using the slider) then click OK to save the changes.

Edited by pip22, 16 January 2007 - 01:12 PM.

sahyd2don

sahyd2don

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
ok I will try diskdefragmentor.I used to clean cookies and file and history by going into internet properties but recently i have discovered that even after clicking that my temfiles,cookies and history are not getting deleted.I decided to del them manually but they are comming back again after i close and open the IE6 window.I think the reason behind hanging is this that temfiles are not getting deleted.