Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very slow access to 2nd hardrive

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
Just a quickie to see if anyones got any ideas on this annoying problem !!!

6 month old relativly decent, fast pc, which had an 80 gb hardrive in it, i installed a second hardrive (120gb) and its all been fine since installation. This second drive is used soley for storage of all my music and video files and is accessed via a shortcut on the desktop
Problem is,,, recently,,, whenever i click on my music icon on the desktop it can take anything up to 10 or 20 seconds to actually open up. ?????
And more annoyingly, when clicking thru the subfolders and tracks, it takes forever to go back to the main menu of artists and albums,, mainly endeding in " program not responding " errors.

This drive is also far from full , having over 70gb free, with only 39gb of music files.

Its only started doing this very recently, and if anything, is getting slower.

No other function of the computer is compromised, all is working as fast and efficiently as ever, its just accessing the second drive with the music on it.
Have checked troubleshooting the drive in question and all seems fine, drivers are all updated etc,,,,,

Reallly stuffed on this one and its getting on my nerves,,,, oh,, and before you ask,,,, the pc is virus free according to norton, adaware , spybot and prevx1.

Would appreciate any advice,
Cheers, kev.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Have you gone to the HD manufacturers website and tested the drive with their diagnostics?

Hard Drive manufacturers

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Just been and downloaded the program for maxtor drives and each time i have tried to run it, it bangs out an error saying that no diskette is in the drive or drive failure ??????
I dont have a floppy drive on my pc, which is what the diskette is required for i suppose !!

Edited by rxkevco, 16 January 2007 - 04:50 PM.