Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Batch file opening with notepad

• Please log in to reply

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
hello, i have a batch file that is opening with notepad for some reason. this has happened before and i dont remember the fix. i dont see bat listed in the file extensions list under Tools -> Options in explorer.

the file maps a network drive that i cant manually map using netscreen remote from offsite. i have to use a net use command to map it but i want to get this batch file working...

if i can change it so it doesnt open in notepad, that is my goal

thanks! :whistling:

Advertisements

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
just to add, i have tried the batch file fix here -> http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm

to no avail

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi hulud!

Go to MY COMPUTER and then go to TOOL-->FOLDER OPTIONS. In the new window that appears, click on the FILE TYPES tab and then go through the list until you find the extension BAT and delete it if it is listed. Click APPLY and OK and then OK in the Folder Options window. Then try running the bat file again.

Fenor

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
hello,

BAT is not on that list at all

thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to START-->RUN and type regedit and click OK. In Registry Editor window that appears, look in the left pane and navigate to the following keys and tell me what is listed on the right pane.
  • HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-725345543-651377827-2147112213-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.bat
  • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bat
Fenor