Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is the best Forum Software?

• Please log in to reply

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Hi there,

Can i just ask, what is the best forum software? Regardless of the budget, what is the best one you can buy on the internet?

Invision Power Board?

vBulletin?

???

:whistling:

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Too many variables...

vBulletin and IPB are both excellent... but again, there are variables... what features do you need? What don't you need?

There is NOTHING wrong with using a package like PunBB, which is very basic, but configurable, it's also considerably less bloated with unnecessary things that vB and IPB both have..

You also have to look at how easy the forum is to "skin" to make it look the way you want or how well it will integrate into your site.

How is their support? How easy is it to upgrade? And a real big one is how active is their online community in regards to themes, skins, mods, plug-ins, and FAQ's? All very important. And also, is that community available in your specific language?

Choosing a forum software is very similar to buying a car. The outside may look AWESOME and the price might be right, but you need to kick the tires once or twice and test drive it first.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
^^ What he said ^^

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ok,

What is the best forum out of vbulliten and IPB?

What one has the most features and is easy to use?

And is there any way to take away the forum registration on IPB or Vbilliten, and instead make it so that all my hosting clients can use the forum and they can lgoin with their hosting username and password?

Edited by Allsortgroup, 17 January 2007 - 11:51 AM.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I prefer vBulletin but that is because I use it at another site.

Both are pretty much neck and neck IMHO as far as features and ease of use go...

As for what you are trying to do with the login, you would most likely have to have some sort of mod or hack to allow that as just stock I do not think either will do that. Plus since every hosting service is so different it would be impossible to have that generally integrated into the package. You will have to modify either the forum software or the way your hosting site uses its login functions.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ok thanks!