Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't download anything

• Please log in to reply

nikit

nikit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Let me start by saying that I don't know anything about computers. I just got a new computer today. It is up and running, but I can not download anything. When I try to download I get a popup that says: Getting File Information and it shows the info on the file I'm trying to download. However it doesn't download anything, it will allow me to close the box and that is all. I have tried to install a downloading program for file sharing on 2 different sites as well as a game. The same thing has happened each time I try. I called my internet service and they won't help with downloading problems. I don't know what I can do. I am totally clueless about computers and would apprecite anyone's help.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You didn't say what browser you are using. If we assume IE6.0, take a look at this info easily available to you in the help menu.

Understanding the Internet Explorer Information Bar
Internet Explorer displays an Information Bar (just below the address bar) where you can see information about downloads, blocked pop-up windows, and other activities. This information helps you to avoid potentially harmful files that you might otherwise accept from the Internet.

When will I see the Information Bar?

If Internet Explorer default settings are on, you'll see the Information Bar when a Web site tries to:

Install an ActiveX control on your computer.
Open a pop-up window.
Download a file to your computer.
Run active content on your computer.
Run an ActiveX control on your computer in an unsafe manner.
How does the Information Bar help me?

You get notified when Internet Explorer blocks:

A control or active content on a Web page. Internet Explorer still allows the rest of the Web page to open, which lets you see how the Web page works without the control. Many times you will not notice any difference, but your computer is less vulnerable when you don't install controls that you don't need.
A Web site from downloading a file to your computer. It will still allow you to download the file if you want to, but this prevents the Web site from downloading any files without your knowledge or permission.
How do I use the Information Bar?

When you see a message in the Information Bar, you can click the message to see more information or to take action.

Can I turn off the Information Bar?

Yes. You can, but we don't recommend it. If you do want to turn it off, you have to turn it off for each type of message.

To turn off Information Bar messages about blocked pop-up windows

Open Internet Explorer.
On the Tools menu, point to Pop-up Blocker, and then click Pop-up Blocker Settings.
Clear the Show Information Bar when a pop-up is blocked check box.
To stop blocking file and software downloads with the Information Bar

This procedure will allow Web sites to automatically prompt you when downloading files and software (bypassing the Information Bar).

Open Internet Explorer.
On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
On the Security tab, click Custom Level.
Do one or both of the following:

To turn off the Information Bar for file downloads, in the Downloads section of the list, under Automatic prompting for file downloads, click Enable.
To turn off the Information Bar for ActiveX controls, in the ActiveX controls and plug-ins section of the list, under Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls, click Enable.
What are the messages that might be displayed in the Information Bar?

"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer stopped this site from installing an ActiveX control on your computer. Click here for options…"

This message appears when a Web page tries to install an ActiveX control and Internet Explorer blocks it. This allows you to see how the Web page functions without the ActiveX control; often, you will be able to view or use the Web page without downloading the control and potentially encountering a security risk. Because ActiveX controls are potentially hazardous to your computer, you should be certain that you trust the publisher of the ActiveX control before you decide to install it on your computer.

To install the ActiveX control:

Click the Information Bar.
Click Install Software.
Click Related Topics for information about how to decide if you should trust a Web site or publisher.

"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options…"

This message appears when a Web page tries to download a file that you might not have specifically requested. This allows you to see how the Web page functions before you decide whether you want to download the file. Many Web pages will continue to work fine. Because files can contain software that can affect the performance of your computer or access the information on your computer, you should be certain that you know what the file contains and that you trust its publisher before you consider downloading it.

If you are certain that you want to download the file, follow the steps below:

Click Download File.
When you are prompted to download the file, read the information in the dialog box very carefully. Make sure the file is from a Web site that you absolutely trust.
Click Related Topics for more information about how to decide if you should trust a Web site or publisher.

"Your security settings do not allow Web sites to use ActiveX controls installed on your computer. This page may not display correctly. Click here for options…"

This message appears when a Web page tries to use an ActiveX control or script and your security settings won't allow it. Because ActiveX controls could create a potential hazard to your computer, you should be certain that you trust the publisher of the ActiveX control before you decide to install it on your computer. Some Web sites could attempt to use ActiveX controls that you don't want them to use.

If you are certain that you want to allow the Web site to use this ActiveX control, you can follow the steps below:

On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
On the Security tab, click Default Level.
If you are unable to change this setting, your administrator might have control over the setting.

Click Related Topics for more information about how to decide if you should trust a Web site or publisher.

"Internet Explorer has blocked this site from using an ActiveX control in an unsafe manner. As a result this page may not display correctly."

This message appears when a Web site tries to access an ActiveX control on your computer without your permission. Internet Explorer will block this action. To avoid possible damage to your computer, you should not try to work around this.

"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content that could access your computer. Click here for options..."

This message appears when a Web page on your computer tries to run a script or ActiveX control. Internet Explorer blocks this activity so that you can see how the Web page functions without the script or ActiveX control; often, you will be able to view or use the Web page without using the active content and potentially encountering a security risk. Because scripts and ActiveX controls are a potential hazard to your computer, you should be certain that you trust the publisher of the script or ActiveX control before you decide to give it access to your computer.

If you are certain that you want to allow the page to run scripts and ActiveX controls on your local machine, follow the steps below:

Click Allow Blocked Content.
Click Related Topics for information about how to decide if you should trust a Web site or publisher.

"This content might not be displayed properly. The file was restricted because the content doesn’t match its security information. Click here for options..."

You should be sure that you know what the file will do to your computer before you decide to display the content without restrictions. This situation might pose a security risk to your computer.

To display this content without restrictions, follow the steps below:

Click Show Restricted Content.

"This site might require the following ActiveX control: Name. From: Publisher. Click here to install..."

This message appears when a Web page tries to install an ActiveX control that has a valid digital signature. The page will open without using the control. This allows you to see how the Web page functions without the ActiveX control; often, you will be able to view or use the Web page without installing the control. Because ActiveX controls can be potentially hazardous to your computer, you should be certain that you trust the publisher of the ActiveX control before you decide to install the control on your computer.

If you want to install this ActiveX control onto your computer, click the Information Bar to install it.

Important

The default security settings in Internet Explorer are designed to help protect your computer from viruses and attacks over the Internet. Microsoft strongly recommends that you leave these security settings at their default level or higher.