Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Software All-in-one scanner/printer failure to install

• Please log in to reply

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I recently purchased a Hewlett Packard Photosmart C3180 All-in-One printer/scanner/copier.

I have two partitions on my pc - Win 98SE and Win2K.

Managed to install the software on Win98 after updating IE to version 6.

Win2000 is my preferred OS, but the software installer gives the following message:

'Fatal error: unable to start print services - spooler.exe. Ensure you have administrative privileges ...'

There is only one user for my pc - administrator.

I used the 'Services' program in the administrative tools program group in the start menu to manually start print services myself, but the software installer gives the same message.

I have browsed HP's website and found nothing so far, relating to this. Has anyone else countered this problem with HP printer/scanners?

Any help appreciated

Dave B - Linuxwannabee :whistling:

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Can't say I've seen this particular error but have you ever had another hp all-in-one installed on this computer? I had all kinds of problems with hp all-in-ones not installing or not installing properly.... I even spent hours on the phone with several hp service techs ( including "advanced" techs ) and they claimed it was that it had a previous all-in-one on that we couldn't get off... even after running all their removal utilities and manual instructions it still wouldn't and their "solution" was to reformat and reload windows... ours was to go with a different printer.... having said that.... are you sure the software will work with 2000? have you gone to their site and checked for a win2000 driver? or update/patch ?