Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Drive Not Working

• Please log in to reply

Yppolitia

Yppolitia

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok, so I have an LG HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B disk drive.

I recently purchased the new expansion for the World of Warcraft game. Anyway I put the CD and nothing shows up at all. So I try a music CD, nothing comes up in iTunes. I tried another software CD and stull nothing comes up? Whats wrong?

Ive tried updating the drivers via the device manager but apparently my drivers are fine. :whistling:

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Have you tried browsing the CD? Right click the Start button, choose Explore. With a CD in the drive, click on your DVD-ROM drive. Do folders/files show up in the right pane?

Yppolitia

Yppolitia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Yeah, one shows nothing when I have the CD in it and one says please insert disk. No matter what drive I put it in.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
That doesn't sound good. How old is your system or the DVD-ROM drive? If it's under warranty, call the technical department for a replacement.

Has anything unusual happened to your system lately?

Is this a desktop or laptop? If it's a desktop, are you comfortable opening the case to unplug/replug the cable on the drive?

If it's not a loose cable, it may be a dead drive.

Yppolitia

Yppolitia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
The system isn't too old. I'm running XP on a PC.

The Disk Drives have been working fine until recently. They aren't old themselves either.

I uninstalled the DVD drive a few weeks ago and rebooted and installed it again, updated the drivers and still nothing happens. The drive has read CD's DVD's and games before.

Yppolitia

Yppolitia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I opened the casing and made sure the plugs were properly in the inputs and they are.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Did you actually remove the drive, or just uninstall it through Device Manager?

Has the DVD-ROM drive worked since you did that?

In Device Manager, are the drivers showing up for the DVD-ROM drive correct for your model?

Yppolitia

Yppolitia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
No, it hasn't worked since, but then I did that because it wasn't working before so I cant tell if the uninstalling it did any difference to it.

I uninstalled it through the Device Manager.

Yeah, they are showing up in Device Manager.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
If the drivers appear to be installed okay, but the DVD-ROM drive wasn't working before and isn't working now, I'd recommend calling the warranty repair department (if the drive/system is under warranty).

Otherwise, you could purchase a new drive and install it. Most hardware vendors has a return policy, so if you find the drive doesn't work, you can take it back. If this happened, that would tell us the controller is bad, not necessarily the drive.