Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NetLogon

• Please log in to reply

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I am getting an Error message as follows:

"This computer is configured as a member of a workgroup, not as a member of domain. The Net logon service does not need to run in this configuration".

I can't seem to find a solution, but suspect it has something to do with services. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Your right, it is listed in the Services Console from where it can be turned off.

1. Start>Run. Type SERVICES.MSC and press [enter].

2. Scroll down to the Net Logon service and double-click it.

3. In the Properties box, change the 'Startup type' to 'Manual'.

4. Below that, click the 'Stop' button if it's available.

5. Now click 'OK' to save the changes, and close the services console window.

6. Reboot the computer.

You should not get that message again, hopefully!

Cheers

Pip

Edited by pip22, 17 January 2007 - 01:00 PM.

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thank you. I didn't get an error after rebooting, but got several warnings as follows:

1. The source is SYSmonLog.
"Unable to read the log file value of the system overview log or alert configuratio. The default value will be used.

2. Source: RegSrvc
"The description for event ID (0) in Source (RegSrvc) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry info. or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE=flag to retrieve this description.

3. Source: ASP.NET 2.050 727.0
"State server starts listening with 3 listeners" I hope I don't have others tuned in to my laptop-:whistling:??

4. Source: EvtEng
"SAME AS #2".

I found recommended settings for services on a site called "The Elder Geek". I made some adjustments - those that seemed safe for my situation. I also found that I have at least 5-7 services that The Elder Geek did not acknowledge as part of XP. one in particular that worries me is WLANKEEPER. I am not on a network. Thank you. ss

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I just want one more thing. I get the impression that my system believes that I'm on a network. I am not and never have been (that I'm aware of). When I open "View Network Connections', there is an Internet Gateway with a separate "Internet Connection" that is connected. It's properties state "this connection allows you to connect to the Internet through a shared connection or another computer. None of the settings are checkmarked. Maybe I should disable/delete this? If so, it might screw up a lot of other things that will be looking for it.????

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Only advice I can give (since I only have one connection icon in mine (called Local Area Connection) is to disable it only. You can then re-enable it if you lose your internet access.

Edited by pip22, 20 January 2007 - 06:11 AM.