Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Install Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply

kelcec

kelcec

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello everyone. I am looking for some troubleshooting advice.

Problem – Cant get Windows Installation to recognize my hard drives – then results in a Blue Screen (but BIOS recognizes HD’s)

Story:
I had wiped my hard drives and decided to install Vista. All was well for awhile, until I got fed up with non-compatible software. So I decided I was going to revert back to XP. I put in the XP disc and when it got to the screen that asks me to Create/Delete a partition it didn’t recognize my HD’s and when I pressed enter it gave me the Blue Screen.

Error:
Stop: 0x0000008e (0xC0000005, 0xF7418C13, 0xF6FD67E4, 0x00000000
setupdd.sys - Address F7418C13 base at F73ECC000, Datestamp 411107c8f

I did some research on this error and most people said it was due to faulty hardware, more specifically RAM. So I took out the RAM, switched slots, etc… no change.

I then decided to troubleshoot. I ran many utility programs to make sure the HD’s were clean. Ontrack/Derek’s Boot and Nuke, the works. Hard Drives checked out fine. I even went to the store and bought a new HD, and the same problem occurred.

I then decided to flash the BIOS. No change.

I read somewhere that maybe the MBR got screwed up from Vista. I booted into the recovery console and when I Typed in fixmbr or any of the other commands, didn’t work.

I’m really at a loss. If there is anyone that has some advice, Id love to try it out. I won’t be home until this evening, but thought Id see what everyone had to say. Thanks!

:whistling:

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I can't imagine that Vista would write to the bios, but I could be wrong. Since you flashed the bios, I guess we can discount that.

What I would do is "zero" out the drives. Run Ontrack again and use the utility to zero out the drive. Run full, not quick. You don't have to zero the entire drive, but do at least 10-20%. If your hard drive is 250GB, 20% will definitely wipe anything at the front end.

Once you finish zeroing, you will have to partition (if desired) and format the drive for a clean installation. Again use Ontrack to do this as it's very quick.

Try that and see if it helps and let us know what happens.

makai

kelcec

kelcec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I used the "Burn and Nuke" program to zero my hard drives (I have 2 320GB HD's). I usually use the Windows installation to create partitions, but it said "Unknown Disk" instead of listing the Hard Drives.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I would really use Ontrack (hopefully, the original Drive manufacture's disk utility), to set up the drives. For one thing, it's about 1000 times faster than Windows partitioning/formatting, plus, it keeps Windows out of it.

This is a strange one, and the only other thing I can recommend is that you go down to bare minimum with your periperals... vid card, ram, cpu, psu, keyboard, mouse, hard drive. Pull out all other cards. Reset the bios by pulling the battery, then try it again.

Sounds like you know what you're doing and I'm sorry if this sounds too simple, but sometimes that's what it takes.

makai

kelcec

kelcec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thats a good call. I'll go ahead and try that this evening and post back with any issues. If anyone else has any suggestions, please feel free to submit them. Thanks.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

http://support.micro...=315335&sd=RMVP

The problem with the drives is probably that XP is not setup to use the changed vista file system so it doesn't recoginize the drives. I would use the drive makers utilities to lowlevel the drives( it writes all "0"s to the drive. Then see if you can use a XP cd to format the drives.

Factory hard drive utilities.

Seagate seatools
http://www.seagate.c...atools/B7a.html

Maxtor maxblast 4
http://www.maxtor.co...p;downloadID=57

Maxblast bootable cd iso
http://www.maxtor.co...p;downloadID=19

Western Digital data lifeguard tools 11.2
http://support.wdc.c...m...=999&swid=1

Fujitsu
http://www.fujitsu.c.../utilities.html

http://www.fujitsu.c...d/download.html

SRX660

kelcec

kelcec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Back again...

I attempted many different things last night. I exchanged the RAM, moved it around, same error. Im currently running a memory test that is 80% done and no errors so far.

I tried to load the drivers with f6, but when it told me to enter the disk and press return it couldnt locate my disk. I made sure it was formatted and everything, even tried a different disk.

I tried flashing the bios again, zeroed out my hard drives.

Grrr....

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I tried to load the drivers with f6, but when it told me to enter the disk and press return it couldnt locate my disk.

What drivers are these? Are they for Raid... Sata?

If you are setting up for Raid, be sure to have the correct version drivers (32 bit vs 64 bit). Whatever XP version you're installing, the Raid drivers must match (I think!).

By the way, did you remove the battery to reset the bios to Defaults. Perhaps the bios is still keeping the original settings even if you reflash. I would go into bios and reset to Defaults. Does your bios recognize the hard drives? I think you need to list what system configuration you have. Most may assume (myself included) that you're setting up standard IDE drives, but now from the sound of it, this is not the case.

Edited by makai, 18 January 2007 - 02:51 PM.

kelcec

kelcec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
solved... I was able to get the raid drivers installed