Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC wont boot after partial sp2 install

• Please log in to reply

tomae

tomae

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi all, I hope someone can help me with a little problem I am having today. When trying to install sp2 to my computer, which is running XP, I got an "access denied" error. At which point the installer stops and undoes the changes that is had made to that point. Then I get a message letting me know that there was only a partial update completed.

So I did a few searches on what might be causing the error. A few sites (including MicroSoft), said that this is usualy a registery problem. While I am reading I get a popup saying that my updates were finished and that I needed to restart my PC. This was surprising to me because I thought that the updates had stopped when I had gotten the access denied error. But I went ahead and clicked "restart now". I notice my PC is taking a little longer than it normaly does to start but figure it is due to the updates. My monitor shows the usual Vaio screen, then gets to the Windows XP screen. At this point it normaly goes to my desktop screen, but now after a blank screen for a few seconds I get a very fast flash of a blue screen with some writing at the top (too fast to read). Then it goes to the screen saying "no input device" as if i turned my PC off. At this point it simply repeats everything over.

Any help or suggestions will much appreciated.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tomae...

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode? On the Safe Mode options screen, try the options for "Safe Mode" and "Last known good configuration" and see if it will boot to Windows.

Access Safe Mode options by tapping the F8 key during bootup.

wannabe1

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Wannabe1, I have tried booting in safe mode. When I tap F8 I am taken to a screen with the options "please select boot device:" the options that follow are for my dvd drive, one labeled "1st floppy drive" and another listed "PM-ST3160021A".

Figuring the last to be my hard drive I have tried it and it only leads back to the orginal problem. So it looks like booting up in safe mode is out unless there is another way to do it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you get that screen, press Esc and continue tapping the F8 key. That should bring up the Safe Mode options screen.

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok that did bring up safe mode screen. When I select the "last known good configuration" option it takes me the next screen option to select the OS to start. Ofcourse the only option is Windows XP. Clicking that brings about the same problem.

Selecting "safe mode", brings me to the same screen to pick OS to start. Clicking on XP again brings up a page of lines all starting with:

"muliti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partion(2)\windows\system32\drivers\"...........

After the slash there are many different file locations listed. all seem to be .sys files.

The pc will sit on this screen about a min. or so then will restart back with the original problem.

Edited by tomae, 17 January 2007 - 06:20 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What is the last file that loads?

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Last file is ........Drivers\agp440.sys

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you see mup.sys anywhere in the visible list..it should be somewhere close to agp440.sys. If you don't see it, that is likely whats hanging the boot and we'll have to take a different track.

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes Mup.sys is just above Agp.sys

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Whew....the mup.sys hang is a tough one.

You said you tried recovery console...is the cd you have a retail version or a recovery cd that came with your machine? If the latter is the case, what is the make and model number of your machine?

Advertisements

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
No I havent tried recovery. My Pc didnt come with a recovery cd and I havent created one. The computer is a Sony Vaio. model pcv-2252.

Do you think the only option seems to be sending for a recovery disk and booting from it at this point?

I have also been thinking about getting Windows media center as my OS. I am wondering if I got that and threw the disk in what would happen. Would it install with the problems i'm having now?

Edited by tomae, 17 January 2007 - 06:55 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm sorry...I thought you said you had tried recovery console...my mistake. :whistling:

If you currently have XP home on the machine, XP MCE would see the install as an upgrade and should install without damaging the data you have on the machine. No guarantee, but it should.

Do you have floppy drives on both machines?

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes both have floppy drives. This one is running xp pro. the computer with the problem is running xp home. My wifes computer is running xp home with sp2.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have the cd for your wife's machine? What kind of machine does she have?

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
No hers didnt come with a cd either. Her computer is an hp pavillion 525C