Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC wont boot after partial sp2 install

• Please log in to reply

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Sorry for butting in wannabe1, tomae but would it help if he selected the"do not reboot if a problem" from the safe mode list and then tell us what the stop code is?

-OCM770-

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download this Startup Disk Set from Microsoft. Save the file to the desktop on the machine you are now on. Double click on the downloaded file and put a floppy disk in the drive when prompted to do so...it will prompt you for each additional diskette as they are required. This will create a startup set that we can use to install Recovery Console. This will require 6 floppy diskettes.

Let me know when you have these ready or if you run into problems creating them.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It wouldn't hurt, -OCM770-...thanks. It seems to be hanging right where the boot hands off to the GUI. I'm very suspect of either the boot.ini (SP2 modifies that) or the video card drivers (SP2 has updated ones).

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi OCM, I dont mind the input at all. But I dont have that option on the safe mode list. I have:

Safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt,

Enable boot logging, Enable VGA mode, last known good config, Dierectory service restore mode, Debugging mode

Start windows normally, Reboot and Return to os choices menu.

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I dont have that many floppy disk here now. Would it work the same if I burn them to a cd?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No, but there is a Recovery Console installer available as an ISO image...do you know how to burn ISO images?

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes but all the program that I use to do burn them is on the computer with the trouble. I'm searching all over I may come up with enough floppies to get by with.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you don't find enough floppies, there is a free burner available Here.

RC.ISO

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
You know where to find it all. Thats just what I was looking into, thank you. Installing now.

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok sorry that took so long, had a crying 1 year old as I was doing all that. I am sitting here with burned cd in hand though.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's see if we can boot to the cd.

Put the cd in the broken machine and restart it. Watch for a prompt at the top of the screen to "Press any key to boot from cd"...press a key.

Does it boot to the cd?

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes did boot to cd, it is loading files and now I have screen asking if I want to set up Win xp, repair win xp using console or to quit setup without installing win xp.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Press R...we want to try a repair using recovery console.

Choose your operating system by number...it should be 1

You will be prompted for the admin password, this is blank by default...press Enter

It should load Recovery Console and end up at a command prompt.

Let me know when you get to the prompt.

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok I am at C:\WINDOWS>

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's check the file system first.

Type chkdsk /r and press Enter (note the space before /r)

This will run a 5 stage check on the file system and may take a little more than an hour...in some cases even longer, depending on what it finds. Once this finishes, it will either boot directly to Windows (or try to) or return to the command prompt. If you end up back at the prompt, type exit and press Enter...it should then attempt to boot to Windows.

Let me know how this goes.