Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC wont boot after partial sp2 install

• Please log in to reply

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Will do wannabe1, thank you for all your help and time. It is running now. It got off to a fast start but has been stuck on 25% for a number of mins now. Ahhh there we go it has now reached 27% so its not frozen. I will let you know when it has completed. Wooohooo now 31%. We are blazing away now.

Edited by tomae, 17 January 2007 - 09:00 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It may appear to hang or even back up a bit...that is normal. Let it finish and it will (hopefully) boot to Windows when it does complete.

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
You werent kidding, that did take awhile. I think it finished sometime around midnight. It says CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume. It did not reboot. It is now back at the C:\WINDOWS prompt.

I wont be around until this afternoon but I will get back on as soon as I can. Once agaon I appreciate all your time and patience with my problem.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Type exit and press Enter.

The machine should reboot. Do not boot back to the cd, but let it try to boot to Windows.

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok did it and the reboot just starts the same problem. I went back through and let it try to boot in safe mode again. I am still getting the list of files. The last two still being the Mup.sys file and the AGP440.sys file. Under The last one which is the AGP440 one, there is a message reading "Press ESC to cancel loading SPTD.sys." Which if im not mistaken is the one you had thought might be giving the problem.

I know thats nothing new for you to go on but that's the only thing I can tell you with my limited knowledge on these things.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Press Esc. That driver is not necessary to Windows...if we can load to the desktop, we'll see if we can get rid of it.

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
No desktop, It just sits there about 10 seconds or so then the computer reboots then starts the same old cycle of trying to boot up. It still runs through the Vaio and the Pentium screens and on to the Windows xp title screen then shuts off and starts the procedure from the begining again. It will just cycle through that for as long as I let it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...try booting to Safe Mode options and choosing the option for Safe Mode with command prompt. Are you able to do this?

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Did it and got the same response.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hang in there...I'm working on something that should work to get a repair on this...it's going to take me a couple of hours to get it downloaded...I'll be back to you shortly after that with some instructions.

Advertisements

tomae

tomae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you for all that you are doing. It is more than I could expect. I appreciate it. I'll keep checking back.

dan447

dan447

• Pip
  • 1 posts
err I'm also having the same problem ,but I can get to the desktop sometimes and I am at the moment. I have recovered the computer 2 times since it started happening but it only keeps running without freezing for about 2-3hours any more suggestions

Appreciate it