Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Photoshop Elements -- mystery files?

• Please log in to reply

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I've just installed Photoshop Elements 5 on Windows XP and I discovered some new files installed in the parent directory (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\) which appear to belong to the Opera web browser (which is not installed). These files are opera.dll, opera.ini, opera.jar and opera.png

The opera.ini file can be opened in Notepad and the first line reads "This file should not be edited when Opera is running". Google says that "opera.dll belongs to the Opera web-browser", and opening opera.png reveals the classic red Opera logo.

So I ask myself, what the heck are they doing in the Photoshop Elements folder? They were obviously installed from the CD (a genuine Adobe Photoshop Elements CD) but why?

Can anyone shed any light on this conundrum please?

Thanks

Pip

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
darn good question.

Adobe uses Opera as it's web page renderer for web stuff. Don't remove it unless you want to risk to break some Photoshop features.

http://forums.macrum...p/t-127902.html

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Thanks starjax. So I don't have strange forces at work in my PC after all! I was all set to join the "I was abducted my martians" fraternity!!!
Strangely though, the Opera executable (opera.exe) is nowhere to be found so this must be a heavily modified and cut down version closely integrated with Elements that does not work as a fully-featured standalone browser.

Edited by pip22, 18 January 2007 - 07:42 AM.

valcandy

valcandy

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Do you know where I can download Photoshop for free? thank u!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I'm sorry, we don't provide hacks, crack, or warez support here. There is no such thing as photoshop for free. If you don't have the money to buy this program then I suggest that you look into Gimp.