Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Akasa CPU fan doesn't seem right

• Please log in to reply

rob.jarvis

rob.jarvis

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've just installed an Akasa AK862 CPU heatsink & fan (for Athlon 64 skt 939). It has a manual speed control. I monitored the CPU temperature and turned down the fan to a suitable level.

That was yesterday. All seemed well.

Today, My PC rebooted for no apparent reason and a POST message came up saying the CPU fan was below the threshold of 1000rpm. I looked inside the case and the fan was moving. I turned the speed to max and it started again at full speed. But now whenever I turn it down just a little (about half) the fan stops completely.

This doesn't seem right. So for now I've kept it at full speed.

I'm going to ring the Tech Support tomorrow but just wanted to know if anybody had experienced something similar.

Rob

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Many computer boards will flag up the fact that the CPU fan isn't spinning very fast when it falls below a certain threshold. Sometimes you can turn this off, usually under the "Hardware Monitor" or "PC Health" sections of the BIOS.

Be advised that if you set the speed of a fan to a level that's near enough to a computer's threshold CPU fan warning level, it will occasionally fall below it. Therefore you should set it slightly higher so even at the lower reports its over the POST threshold.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Why spend money on a cheap heatsink/fan assembly if your building a expensive computer. Get at least one of these and be glad it is much quieter and runs cooler than the one you have.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118112

For a few $ more theres even a 120 MM cooler thats just as good.

SRX660

rob.jarvis

rob.jarvis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK so it was cheap.

Now to get my money back, I need to prove it's faulty.

The techy said it might be that the CPU doesn't need the fan on until it reaches a threshold temperature. I have an ASUS monitor program where I can set the threshold, but it didn't turn the fan on when the cpu went above it.

I can sense the retailer will argue it's my pc that's not switching the fan on, and not a faulty fan.

Oh, how I love this game!

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
that asus pc monitor is called asus pc probe and it only monitors and notifies the function of all system components and temperatures no matter the threshold set, it does not have the capability to cut off or turn on your system fan. Especially one that is manually set, it definately sounds like the fan is malfunctioning and it is more then likely that it will stop working completely shortly.

rob.jarvis

rob.jarvis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
"that asus pc monitor is called asus pc probe and it only monitors and notifies the function of all system components and temperatures no matter the threshold set, it does not have the capability to cut off or turn on your system fan. Especially one that is manually set, it definately sounds like the fan is malfunctioning and it is more then likely that it will stop working completely shortly."

I thought that was the case, I'll send it back & get a refund.

Meanwhile, I would be grateful for a recommendation for a replacement. It needs to fit an AMD Athlon 64 socket 939. I want something quiet and not huge.

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
However on many 939 mobos I have seen the fan turn itsself on and off when needed. The first time I saw it I thought for sure that it was a faulty mobo or fan control, but as it turned out it is something that is specific to the 939 socket.