Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

freezing

• Please log in to reply

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi Guys,
now one would think this was really easy to sort, but I have tried nearly everything. I installed a new mother board and the system was a clean install. It keeps freezing every so ofton, no matter what I may be doing. It could be w minute after I boot or anytime after. My Control- Alt - Delete will not work either when this freezes. I have to reboot everytime.
I have done a complet Antivirus check, took the memory out and rieinstalled it,took the soundblaste card out, changed the mouse from USB back to ps2, and still no good. I have also downloaded all the latest drivers. One thing I have not done yet, and that is to updated the bios. I am not too up on that particuler job, yet. I would be really gratefull if anyone could shd a bit of light on this problem, please.

Here are my specs.OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer AWARD_
System Model AWRDACPI
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 44 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1999 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 10/8/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2562 (xpsp.040919-1030)"

Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 612.55 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.35 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
What is the make and model of your motherboard? Have you gone to the motherboard manufacturer's web page and checked for driver updates or bios update for that board?

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
first of all, I am so sory for not getting back to you sooner. It just kept freezing and would not let me in. It is a 754 socket MB winfast.By Foxchannel. Number 760GXK8MC. I have not at this stage tried to upgrade to the latest bios.
I shall try that as soon as I get the Manual up on the screen to have a look at. It is on the MB cd.I will let you know if all is well.
Thanks again

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi Austin, I may have come across where the problem lies. I saw my cd rom was working, when I was frozen, so I presumed it was with the screen or explorer. I noticed that my display was down to 16bit on my Video reselution, instead of 32 bit. At the moment, I do not know why this happened. I was able to change it back to 32 bit, but not sure if that actually solves the problem, why it happened.

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi Austen,
just to let you know, this problem is resolved. It was the nvidia 6800 graphics card which was the problem. I took it out and no problem since.
Cheers again for your help.

Lucky