Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[Windowsroot]\system32\hal.dll PROBLEMS!

• Please log in to reply

bl6377

bl6377

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I got the following message;

Please reinstall
[Windowsroot]\system32\hal.dll

How do I fix this problem! I tried the recovery console and thats about it!
Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi bl6377...

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

bl6377

bl6377

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok I followed the directions and got to:

Windows XP Pro Setup
The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this comp.
Use up and down to select .......
To setup press enter
To create a partition in the un partitioned space press C
To delete the selected press D

I pressed enter and and it gives me three choices
Format the partition using NTFS file sys quick
Format the " "
Leave the current file system intact (no changes)

Whe I choose the first one it says
Caution: Formatting this drive will delete all files on it.
confirm you want to format:

Now what do i do?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It didn't give you an option to repair the current operating system? Thats not a good sign.

Before you go any further, let's discuss your options...which are limited if the current operating system is not being detected.

If you have important files on the machine, we can do a parallel installation to recover them.

If you have no important files on the machine, you can continue as you are and format the drive...everything on the drive will be lost.

We can go either way from where you are now.

bl6377

bl6377

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
No repair option, it gives me three spaces, 2 unpartitioned space's, 1 with 49270 mb and 107411 mb. The third is Partitioned [NFTS] 81792 MB (74192 MB Free) I do have stuff i would like to try and recover.
Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's do a parallel install. Keep in mind that once this completes, there will still be drivers to install, but we can get the data.

Did you choose Partitioned [NFTS] 81792 MB (74192 MB Free) to get to the screen you're on now? If you did, from the format options, choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes). Press Enter.

On the next screen, press C to use a different folder.

Now you get to name the folder...just type 0 (zero) so the folder will be named WINDOWS0 and press Enter

Installation should begin and Windows will install to the new directory. Once this has completed, you can look in C:\Documents and Settings for a folder with your old username...your data should be there and be intact. Copy the data from the old user folder to your new one and we'll see if we can fix the old installation. If not, we'll get all the drivers installed on the new install and get rid of the old one.

You may be asked which os to start when starting the machine until we get finished and edit the boot.ini to remove the prompt.

Let me know how it goes.

Guide

bl6377

bl6377

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I will give it a try and get back to you! Thank you!

bl6377

bl6377

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
OK, I did as you said and I think I screwed up. I ended up formating the drive. I either wasn't paying attention or the system is haunted. Anyway I am back up running with a few less programs and one problem. Wondering if you had any idea on this one. While trying to use Windows Media Player or Real Player it wont play the music and I get this error message from Windows Media:
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

Any ideas where to go next besides computer shopping?
Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Following the instructions I gave should have given you a fresh install on the same partition.

Open My Computer and double click on "Local Disk C:". Do you see two Windows folders in there? One named Windows and one named Windows0?

bl6377

bl6377

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
No only one. I screwed up myself. I'm sure I wasn't paying attention at 0230 hrs while doing this! I did get back my sound card also by downloading the drivers from the site.

I have an external back up device and I'm sure some of the old files are there but the last time I used it crashed (I think) soon after. Can it be scanned with an anti virus before transferring any files. Also I was told that I need to use the Safely remove hardware each time I shut it down is this right and could that have caused a problem.
Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Most Antivirus software will scan any area you tell it to scan...from a single file to a complete drive. You should find that option by right clicking on the file, folder, or drive you want to scan and selecting the option from the right click menu.

The machine should be running pretty good with a fresh install...have you run across any problem areas other than the sound? Have a look in Device Manager (right click My Computer, choose properties, click the "Hardware" tab, click the Device Manager" button) and see if there are any yellow ! or ? displayed next to any of the listed devices.

bl6377

bl6377

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Actually yes, there is under other devices:

Other devices
Multimedia Audio Controller
PCI Input Device

I'm guessing but could this be my sound card and now i have to re-install the drivers?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What's the make and model number of the machine?

bl6377

bl6377

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I put it together myself about 4-5 years ago!

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) No details available
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.60 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7V266-E REV 1.xx
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V266-E ACPI BIOS Rev 1004B 11/07/2001
Drives Memory Modules c,d
85.77 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
74.65 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-106 SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W2410A [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST3250624A [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5ND56B5H, rev 3.AAH, SMART Status: Healthy 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Do you need more than that?

bl6377

bl6377

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Better make that 6 years ago, wow!