Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Desktop does NOT like new ram I just bought.

• Please log in to reply

Gold_Yoshi

Gold_Yoshi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hiyo! I'm new here, and I'm also new at installing RAM. I've heard a multitude of things, like how I need to pair my RAM, don't need to if it's put into slot 1, etc. I have an a813w HP Pavilion Desktop computer, and I tried to purchase JUST this ram and install it so far: RAM from ebay. Link. I have tried using different slots with JUST that ram, doesn't work no matter what slot. I jumped the BIOS and resetted CMOS, I've tried different combinations of RAM. I'm starting to think this RAM is defective, but I want to make sure before I return it. (Don't worry about if I held onto the case or not, I did every single time.) I still am looking for if This is compatible with This more than anything, because if it's not I can return for refund, and if it is I can ask for a different chip from the seller. Somebody please help me, I have tried and tried a TON of things and still to no avail. :whistling:

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Maximum allowed ram 4.0 GB* (4 X 1 GB) requires the replacement of the installed 256 MB DIMMs
Speed supported PC3200 MB/sec
Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM
DIMM slots Four

That ram is the one for that motherboard.

I try not to buy computer hardware from ebay, you can get alot of problems sometimes.

What exactly happens when you install the memory? Do you get any beeps?

also, you could try memtest
http://www.memtest86.com/

Gold_Yoshi

Gold_Yoshi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, I figured it out. My computer needs low-density ram, not high-density...