Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network Failing/nonexistant

• Please log in to reply

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Recently I setup a new computer, and currently I am attempting to set it up for wireless internet. I first set up a connection, with no problem, with a lynksis USB adapter, but i soon switched to a MSI Dual Net PCI Card with Wireless and bluetooth capability. i intalled the device with no problem, but my problem now is that i cannot connect/properly access my wireless network. When I boot up my computer the device will search for a 'local area network', and it will connect to alright, but then a message will pop up saying that my connection has 'little or no connectivity' whenever this message comes up i click 'repair', but, unfourtenately, that does not work, because my computer fails to renew it's ip address. i have tried to manually renew it, but that does not work either. i think that i may need to set up a new network connection, but i am not sure. i appreciate any help, and thanks in advance!

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi there,

Have you tried restarting the router?
What kind of router?
Can you connect via ethernet?
What security software are you running?
Is your connection encrypted?

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
my router is a d-link wireless g-54 router, and currently i am checking the DHCP settings on it. both computers have AVG free edition, and my computer has Avast antivirus on it. i believe that my connection is encrypted, but i'm not postive.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
my router is a d-link wireless g-54 router, and currently i am checking the DHCP settings on it. both computers have AVG free edition, and my computer has Avast antivirus on it. unfourtenately, we lost the password to the routers' DHCP settings, so i can't access it to change it. is there a way that i can reset the password?

Edited by dllp117, 18 January 2007 - 07:22 PM.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
sorry about that double post!!!

pflavell

pflavell

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have had a similar problem with my computer (laptop wireless card wouldn't detect networks) along with
freezing at the windows XP welcome screen (mouse would work but when you scrolled across user names nothing would happen). Could always get in using Windows safe mode, eventually by selectively disabling startup programs found that Avast was the culprit.

Uninstalled and re-installed and now everythihng appears to work fine.

Pete

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
fortunately, i fixed my problem-i had to reset and update the firmware on my router. curiously enough, Avast was also on my computer and was coming up with weird messages, but i deleted it.