Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Screen Saver Problem

• Please log in to reply

cp22

cp22

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone. It's not a huge problem but it is an annoyance. I have changed my screen saver to show my pictures, but when the screen saver goes on it goes to windows XP screen saver (the floating icon). There are 5 people who use this computer, all of them are administrators (but I'm the only one who really does all the maintenance stuff). I've switched the screensaver on 3 profiles to the My Pictures, but not the other two yet, even though I believe that wouldn't make a difference. So I'm just wondering why it is not going to the screensaver that I want it to go to. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well ya could try the preview button on the screensaver setting to see if its working then, or check out your my pictures folder.

Inside My Pictures, now whenever you are in My Pictures check to make sure windows is directing you to your user files, such as C:\Documents and Settings\UrName\My Documents\My Pictures......

My Pictures, now after making sure you were in the correct my pictures, make sure your pictures ARE NOT in other folders. such as C:\Documents and Settings\UrName\My Documents\My Pictures\NeWFOlder.... That will not work, the pictures must be contained in My Pictures.

Extensions: Also check the extension on the pictures. Not sure which ones windows xp screensave supports, probably all the common ones you can open with the Picture Viewer, such as .JPEG, .BMP, etc......

cp22

cp22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I know what the problem is now. The screensaver works if I leave my profile on, but if I logout and it is at the welcome screen, it will use the windows XP screensaver. Anyone know how to fix this?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

I know what the problem is now. The screensaver works if I leave my profile on, but if I logout and it is at the welcome screen, it will use the windows XP screensaver. Anyone know how to fix this?

that's the way that windows works...if it's at the login screen it's not in a profile..therefore theres no setting controlling that screen saver...to my knowledge...there's no way to change that

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i take that back...this should do her

The steps that I am about to suggest involve modifying the registry. Modfying the registry can be dangerous so we will make a backup of the registry first.
Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot preform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Go Here and download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.
http://bfarber.com/i...?showtopic=6913

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
If you wish to not edit the registry use tweakui, available for download at microsoft LINK: http://download.micr...wertoySetup.exe

Expand the Logon category and go to settings and then screensaver.

Explore TweakUi, its very useful.

-OCM770-

cp22

cp22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you guys so much for the help.