Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mouse and keyboard lag during games!

• Please log in to reply

blindu

blindu

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello there everyone! im posting here, i hope it the right place to do so, but recently i have reformatted my hard drive and since then i have been getting mouse and keyboard lag whenever i play first person shooter games such as counter strike and battlefield 2. at first i thought it was just the counter strike, until i played battlefield 2 as well and the same thing happened. and battlefield i played in single player, which means i didnt connect to teh internet, so i think it is my computer that is causing this. this has been happening since i reformatted my comp.

My specs are:
Compaq Presario, about 5 years old
2.4 GhZ
512 RAM
256 RAM ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
i have the original mouse, its a PS2 port mouse... it says compaq on it, ive never had any problems with it, and i changed it too and it still happens, i change it to a USB Port mouse
and the keyboard is a PS2 one as well, its a compaq Internet keyboard thing.

now some friend tried to help me because he thought it was the video card, so i uninstalled the catalyst software and just installed the driver, but it didnt help, so then i installed an older driver, that still didnt help.
i am thinking it could be that my motherboard needs an update on the drivers? maybe, but idk where to find those to try em out. :whistling: thank you in advance for the help provided!

Blindu

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Fix Drivers: First go to ATi's Site and download the newest driver that is supported by your video card.

Improving Performance: To get rid of the lag there are many things you can do, such as changing page file, changing apperance settings and adjusting visual effects in game and out.

Click Start, Right-click My Computer and go down to Properties. Click Advanced tab, Click Performance settings button. Adjust for best performance,,,,,advanced tab: page file - change....Go to your C: harddrive and change it to 2000 - 4000....(that should be a decent pagefile, making sure to leave at least 6gbs or more on c:)

As for the visual effects in the game, right click your catalyst in your system tray and change the settings on that to match the settings in your game. Do not use application controlled settings(Don't know why these are even on there because they're retarded.)
Anti-aliasing: 4x (How straight lines are on the walls)
Anistrophic: off usually(this is how bright it is, whenever I turn mine on its like looking into the sun :blink:
Image Settings: Performance -- Won't be the best looking settings, prolly can raise this after you try these settings, but for right now lets keep it at the base.

As for everything else, you have a good video card, so as long as winxp doesn't have a virus or anything else your good to go. :whistling:

blindu

blindu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thank you, but do i change the initial to 2000 and then the maximum to 4000? or do i just change the maximum to something between 2000 and 4000? once agani thanks, i dont know if it works so far, but ill give it a shot.

Edit

i did teh initial at 2000 and the max at 4000 and it didnt seem to work, it helped a little, but it still does that, i changed everything else, except the anistropic i could not turn off, so i made it at 2X

Edited by blindu, 18 January 2007 - 11:03 AM.