Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card Problem, Pixel Patterned lines across screen

• Please log in to reply

Chibling

Chibling

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Graphics Card: x1900gt with accellero x2000 heatsink / fan
CPU: 3800 athlon x2
Memory: 1 gig
Monitor: 19" LCD
Catalyst 6.12 I beleive (deleted now)

Earlier today I was finishing up some work when the screen became all pixellated and so I manually turned it off as I thought it simply froze and needed a boot. Later on, when I turned the computer on, the lines streaked across the at the boot-up, and the pattern changed until it reached windows. I can still move my mouse and click on things, however it can be distracting when there are multicoloured pixels everywhere in horizontal patterns.

* Checked the monitor (worked on my laptop)
* Checked inside, it was somewhat dusty, blew some air inside
* Watched and checked all the fans at boot up
* Tried re-mounting the graphics card in the PCI-E slot
* Deleted drivers
* Tested graphics card using a 'check it diagnostics' program which detected no problems
* Took out graphics card and booted from on board and on board works perfectly fine.

- Since the onboard worked it clearly indicates that there is something with my graphics card
* Perhaps part of the board got damaged? (electric shock, physical removal of something)
* Perhaps when I installed the third party cooling system I did not properly ensure flat contact with the thermal pads and the memory module
* Perhaps dust is interfering

I will attempt re-mounting once I get some thermal paste (or someone more tech savvy than myself will)
Are there any other possibilities? Is it a loss cause, and it is dead?

I have searched the internet to no avail... any comments are greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the graphics card is under warranty, send it back for a replacement. Otherwise you will need a new card.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
before u send it back, you might try this, most of the newer x1000 series cards have a cmos jumper for the gpu bios, although not always recommended you can try to reset the bios and see if that corrects the problem, I had that issue before, I had overclocked my x1600 and it started doing that, I reset it and i have not had a problem since. If this doesn;t solve anything, definately time to send it back if it is under warranty.

Chibling

Chibling

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I will definately persue the BIOS if all else fails. I cannot return a product that has had it's heatsink/fan replaced with a third party one, I believe that voids the warranty...

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
yes unfortunately if you did not hang on to the stock heatsink and fan it does, but try the bios reset first it might solve the problem.