CPU: 3800 athlon x2
Memory: 1 gig
Monitor: 19" LCD
Catalyst 6.12 I beleive (deleted now)
Earlier today I was finishing up some work when the screen became all pixellated and so I manually turned it off as I thought it simply froze and needed a boot. Later on, when I turned the computer on, the lines streaked across the at the boot-up, and the pattern changed until it reached windows. I can still move my mouse and click on things, however it can be distracting when there are multicoloured pixels everywhere in horizontal patterns.
* Checked the monitor (worked on my laptop)
* Checked inside, it was somewhat dusty, blew some air inside
* Watched and checked all the fans at boot up
* Tried re-mounting the graphics card in the PCI-E slot
* Deleted drivers
* Tested graphics card using a 'check it diagnostics' program which detected no problems
* Took out graphics card and booted from on board and on board works perfectly fine.
- Since the onboard worked it clearly indicates that there is something with my graphics card
* Perhaps part of the board got damaged? (electric shock, physical removal of something)
* Perhaps when I installed the third party cooling system I did not properly ensure flat contact with the thermal pads and the memory module
* Perhaps dust is interfering
I will attempt re-mounting once I get some thermal paste (or someone more tech savvy than myself will)
Are there any other possibilities? Is it a loss cause, and it is dead?
I have searched the internet to no avail... any comments are greatly appreciated.