Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

New Hard Disk Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Stumped -

New hard drive - Not recognized by laptop
Tried to install WIN XP - Dirve not recoginized during installation.

Laptop - Toshiba Satallite Pro - 6100
New Hard Disk - Toshiba MK1031GAS (100GB ATA)

Installed HD as 2nd on another laptop (IBM T20 - WinXP) - Disk Management > Disk 1 > Create Partition 100% / Format (NTFS - Default Allocation Size) /Make Partition Active
All is well - I can copy/open/close/save files to new HD

Take drive to Toshiba Laptop - Drive not recognized on:
1./ Insallation of WinXP - Error > No Hard Disk to install to
2./ Booted from floppy boot disk - tried delpart - No drive detected
3./ Installation of Vista - Error > No Hard Disk to install to
4./ Repartion primary to 50GB and 2nd 50GB, made logical drive and formatted - No drive detected

Any thing that I am missing? - I don't think there are any jumpers to make it primary?

Thanks in advanced.

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
But there are jumpers on the drive itself to configure it as 'Master' (as opposed to 'Slave') aren't there?, and it's usual for the system drive to be configured as 'Master'.

If it's configured as slave it would be recognised when installed as a slave on another laptop which already has a system disk of it's own, but wouldn't be recognised when fitted to your laptop because it needs the jumper altering to 'Master' to match the fact that it's the only drive present.

As always, I could be wrong, but since you haven't mentioned the master/slave configuration at all, I thought I should bring it up as a possible cause.