Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 roadrunner techs cannot help me

• Please log in to reply

bincka

bincka

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi.
I have an xp sp2. Three techs at roadrunner were left without an answer.
Everything up to my computer is running at the correct speed, RR highspeed.
I use IE7 to access som sites that Mozilla won't work with, but I use Mozilla 90%.

A week ago, the speed at which pages loaded crawled to a standstill. Slower than I'm used to with text and images, if there is ANY flash it slows to dialupspeed.

I - ran all scans suggested by GTO
-upgraded flash player
-reviewed settings in IE and Firefox

Still ungodly slow. What the heck is going on?
Attached is my Hijack file:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:59:17 AM, on 1/18/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

[color=#009900]Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\YourWare Solutions\FreeRAM XP Pro\FreeRAM XP Pro.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron\Desktop\SCAN STUFF\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [a_usdll] cmd /C "del C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Download\Download.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [b_usexe] cmd /C "del C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Download\Download.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [c_usdir] cmd /C "rmdir /Q C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Download"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FreeRAM XP] "C:\Program Files\YourWare Solutions\FreeRAM XP Pro\FreeRAM XP Pro.exe" -win
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\npjpi150_06.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\npjpi150_06.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitd...can8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1119717445171
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1167712234828
O16 - DPF: {6F750200-1362-4815-A476-88533DE61D0C} (Ofoto Upload Manager Class) - http://www.kodakgall..._1/axofupld.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: Phoenix VCD Service (PhnxVCDService) - Phoenix Technologies Ld. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PhnxCDSvr.exe

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
hi,

first go to http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and run a couple of speed tests to be sure your getting what you should from your service.

If you are able to run the test and they are in the engineered range for your service then go to Start /run /open=msconfig. Select the Boot.ini tab and mark "safe boot" and "network" then click OK and restart the PC.

once in safe mode choose your account and see if you're still surfing slowly.

bincka

bincka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
No need....
Just got off the phone for the 4th time with roadrunner. He had me run numerous speed tests, and says that the connection is 100% up to my actual machine. The crazy thing is, this just started about a week ago.
My download speed appears to be impacted a tiny bit, maybe by 30-40kbps, but the loading of web pages is insanely slow.
Also, it was noticable a week ago, just on pages that contained a lot of flash. Today, my wife could hardly access a non-flash site. It later would not load my homepage until I restarted, and will not load a couple of my normal sites (weatherchannel) at all. I anally run the recommended GTGo programs as a supplement to my own AV, and have not had a prblem in 2 years....... till now. I'm at a loss.

bincka

bincka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Actually, I now realize my routine is outdated......
What I run on a weekly basis, and just ran again is, in safe mode:
1. CCleaner
2. Adaware
3. Spybot
4. Windows Defender
5. EZ virus (installed)
6. (Panda Scan- online)

Do i need to install the new list of programs and run them, or am I safe? I run these things at least once per week.

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
First :

Your version of Java is outdated and needs to be updated to take advantage of fixes that have eliminated security vulnerabilities.
Updating Java:

* Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.0
* Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6
* Click the "Download" button to the right.
* Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
* The page will refresh.
* Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language and save to your desktop.
* Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
* Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
* Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
- Examples of older versions in Add or Remove Programs:
o Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2
o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
* Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
* Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
* Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
* Then from your desktop double-click on jre-1_6_0_10-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

After that run Microsoft Online test to rule out any malware issues.

bincka

bincka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Nope.
Still crawling.
I took advice of both posts, still incredibly slow with both browsers.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run through this

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Download and install Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If no improvement

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

bincka

bincka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
OK, I'll give this a shot and get back later.
Thanks!!!!

(In the meanwhile I have spoken wtih yet another tech guy who couldn't help!!!!)

bincka

bincka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I do not have an xp disk.....
Cannot find one to borrow either. It came preinstalled, I have SP2.
I have retried all of GTG prerecommendations for malware and posted this
issue on the malware forum.

bincka

bincka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I don't believe I downloaded SP2?
I think it came already with SP2. If I am correct, do I need to run SP1 disk
still, or should I obtain a SP2 disk????
Thank you for your help.
I moved my post to the Malware section, as I needed to post my hijack log.

bincka

bincka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
If anyone has the same issue...............

It is resolved with fixwareout.exe

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thanks for posting the solution