Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audacity - I need help!

• Please log in to reply

Giggleheimer

Giggleheimer

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi,

I use Audacity to record simple demos and whatnot on my guitar whenever I come up with something worth recording (adding synths, recording bass over it, using a drum machine program, you get the idea!).
I use a two way cable with a different jack on one end to plug the guitar right into the microphone port of the computer (the pink one, right? :blink: ) and then set it to record from Mono Out or Wave Out (or whatever one works - I can't tell right now, I'm on a different computer :whistling: )
However, while recording is in progress, I can't hear the guitar through the speakers, so it's hard to tell how it's turning out, I just have to kind of hope for the best. But when I was recording at my friend's house using the same program, the guitar roared through the speakers nicely so I could tell exactly how the various effects were sounding etc.

Are there any Audacity users out there or anyone at all that could help me? I just want the sound to play through the speakers while I record.

Edited by Giggleheimer, 18 January 2007 - 03:57 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Don't do live recording but have done in the past. I think the feature you want is called 'monitoring' (in this context it means listening to the actual recording in real time through the speakers that will be used for playback).

I think that option will be in your recording software settings somewhere (ie in Audacity's options or preferences). You are looking for something along the lines of "monitor recording" or "enable monitoring".

I've looked all over Windows own sound settings and the soundcards own settings and there's nothing to enable monitoring so it must surely be in Audacity's settings if your friend is doing it.

Giggleheimer

Giggleheimer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK, when I get home later I'll give it a try, thanks! :whistling: