Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word 97 won't open.....excell same problem

• Please log in to reply

ScottAz

ScottAz

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I have had word and excell operating on this system for years and never had a problem.

The last 2 days neither application want's to open. I re-start the computer and they still won't open.

Windows 2000 with a ton of memory on a Dell Precision 450.

I use these programs on a daily basis and I know they work, or at least did.

I have run Trend Micro, spybot, pest patrol, no adaware, registry mechanic all with 0 results and still the same problem.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks,

Scott

Advertisements

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hey ScottAz,

In your attempts to open the programs, has there been any "error" messages at all? Have you done any new program installs or updates? Also, what happens if you were to doubleclick on a .doc or .xls file..and try to open it...what happens or what does it try to open with? Also, do you have your Office CD available?

If you could answer those few questions, that may help try and get a better grasp on how to fix this.

Jrenter2

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
You might want to check the eventviewer to see for any error messages. Look for red crosses. Go to : START RUN type eventvwr

ScottAz

ScottAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hey ScottAz,

In your attempts to open the programs, has there been any "error" messages at all? NO

Have you done any new program installs or updates? Updated Adobe Reader

Also, what happens if you were to doubleclick on a .doc or .xls file..and try to open it...what happens or what does it try to open with?

The curser is there for a minute and it doesn't do anything. If I ctr+alt+delete I get a program is not responding message. If I try to open the program or a document it does the same thing.

Also, do you have your Office CD available? No. My dog ate them. Really, she did and about $2000.00 worth of other discs also.

Jrenter2

ScottAz

ScottAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

You might want to check the eventviewer to see for any error messages. Look for red crosses. Go to : START RUN type eventvwr

Did that and there are no errors listed. Nothing there at all about the program not opening.

I restarted the computer twice today and it opened.

I hate computers.

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hey ScottAz...ok..thank you for answering the questions.

Let's have you try something here.....fire your computer up in Safe mode and then try and start up Word and see what happens. Hopefully it will come up in Safe mode.

If it does....locate your NORMAL.DOT file (most likely located in C:\Documents and settings\Username\Application data\Microsoft\Templates) and rename the file to something like NORMAL.BAK. Then reboot into Normal mode and try Word again and see what happens.

I have another route to take should this not work, but we'll get into that later (if we have to).

Jrenter2

ScottAz

ScottAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Sorry for the delay in my reply.

These 2 programs have been working fine since that one problem. I have no idea what was going on with them.

I think I will upgrade to the latest Office suite .

Thanks for the help.

Scott