Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not open attachment with pps extension

• Please log in to reply

MomAries

MomAries

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I do have Power Point Viewer on my computer. Why when I try to open the attachment with pps file it tells me I don't have any program associated with this extention??? :whistling:

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
MomAries,

I don't know what version of Windows you have, but this works for XP.

Go to Start > Run > My Computer.

* Click on the Tools menu.

* Click on the Folder Options item. A dialog box with tabs will appear.

* Click on the File Types tab. Let Windows fill the information box.

* Scroll to the file extension in question (in your case, PPS).

In the box headed "Details for PPS extension", it should say that these files open with Microsoft Powerpoint. If it doesn't, click on the Change button, and scroll through the list of programs until you find Powerpoint and select it by clicking on it. Then make sure the box titled "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" is checked.

If you need additional help, please go to our Microsoft Office forum and ask your questions there. :whistling:

MomAries

MomAries

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sari, I did everything like you told me, step by step, and you are not going to believe it - it DID say "open with Microsoft Powerpoint". I did not have to change anything.

I still can't open the attachment: get the same message as before.
:whistling:

Edited by MomAries, 18 January 2007 - 05:46 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you don't have powerpoint installed on your comoputer...you may want to change that "opens with" to the powerpoint viewer exe

MomAries

MomAries

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Now I know why it didn't work ... I had it "Open with Microsoft Office MS Powerpoint Viewer" and when I changed it to "Microsoft Powerpoint Viewer" it worked ... I don't have MS Office ... LOL HOW did it happen that I had it in MS Office beats me ... LOL It worked before, and all of the sudden it stopped working ... I guess I have a "ghost" sitting inside of my computer .. :whistling:

Thank you very much for your responses guys!!! :blink:
Happy MomAries

Edited by MomAries, 19 January 2007 - 10:38 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
MomAries,

I'm glad you got it resolved - thanks for letting us know! :whistling: