Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Server busy error

• Please log in to reply

matt pearce

matt pearce

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
I get the following error message when i start my PC. It goes away if i click 'retry' or 'switch to' it's just annoying! any ideas how to get rid of it???Posted Image

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi.

1. When did this start? Can you try a System Restore to a day prior?

2. What happened on your computer just before this error started? Did you install anything in particular? If so, try uninstalling that software to confirm.

3. Be sure to scan your system thoroughly with antivirus and antispyware software. If anything shows up, you mght want to post in the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

4. If you can't pinpoint any certain new software (from #2), you can use MSCONFIG to troubleshoot the programs that start at boot. See this link. It deals specifically with iTunes, but the technique is the same. You'd basically turn off the startup items, then turn them back on one at a time until you found the one that is causing the error.

5. Check the Event Log for any other errors at startup that might shed additional light. To get to the Event Viewer, click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. On the left side are three categories: Application, Security, and System. Look under Application and System for Warnings or Errors that happen during the boot process.

Please post the results.

Edited for grammar....

Edited by LindaGail, 18 January 2007 - 03:22 PM.

matt pearce

matt pearce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thanks for the quick reply:

i posted a thread on here a couple of days ago because i was getting a message on startup trying to run 'photogallery' and to insert the CD to run 'Photogallery' and that pretty much around the same time that this 'switch to' error started appearing. I can't pinpoint an exact time or whether these messages started appearing after installing a specific application. I since found out that the 'photogallery' app was part of HP, which i have since disabled from my startup and i don't get this anymore..only the 'switch to' message.

As far as a system restore goes: Will i need to back up any files, i know it might be an obvious question!!! But i've never had to do a system restore b4 and don't want to lose any of my files.

I've run HijackThis and i will post in the Malware section - thanks

thanks again

Matt

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
A System Restore has absolutely no effect on your files. You will be fine to try it. If you restore to prior to making the change for PhotoGallery, you might find yourself back to square one though.

Let me review your other post and check a couple of more things. I'll post back in a little while.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Okay, I think the 'server busy' error may indeed stem from unchecking all the HP items in Startup.

However, since you've got a thread pending in Malware, we need to wait for the "all-clear" before proceeding.

Please reply to this thread when Malware releases you. Even if the error goes away, please just respond with the status.