Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crutial Ballistix Memory

• Please log in to reply

Southend

Southend

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Some months ago I posted with regards to a problem I had with my Crutial Ballistix Memory (2x512MEG)
http://www.crucial.c...4ACD210A5CA7304

Basically after about six months I started getting faulting modules (excel, Firefox) you name it, that only a reboot would fix. I rebuilt the software once but this continued into BSoD reboots as well. I had loads of good advice with increasing the voltage to 2.8v and amnually setting the timings, which for a time appeared to work, but then thing started going wrong again. Finally a Memtest86 found thousands of errors on the memory.
Crutial, very good customer service, replaced the memory like for like free of change under there warrenty.

That was last July. Now we are into January 2007 and the faulting modules have started again and I have also had some BSoD's, most annoying. I did run a Memtest86 for 4 hours and it didn't actually find any errors, however, given time I think it will as the Memory starts to deteriate.

What prompted me to post was I was pointed to the following 'review' (scroll down the page a little) and it was to familiar to ignore.
http://www.amazon.co...C/dp/B000A3V3K8

What I would be interested to know is whether anyone else has experienced or heard about this problem with Crutial Ballistix Memory?

I have e-mailed Crutial to see what response I get, and I am sure they will again replace the memory, but that's not going to give me confidence I will be running a stable system.

And of course this post may be of assistance to someone else who encounters a this problem with the same memory.

Advertisements

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I definately have had problems with crucial ballistix in the past and now say away from the ballistix series of ram chips. I love OCZ for ram now so if you are sick of those ballistix you might try the OCZ.