Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

How to reset BIOS on Radeon x1000 series cards (or any)?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hello I am experiencing graphics card problems and am going to try and reset my graphics card's bios.

Any suggestions, links or guides would be appreciated.

Edited by Chibling, 18 January 2007 - 04:13 PM.

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok, this quesion was posed to me in a private message and I suggested a post for the community would be the best solution so everyone had access to the answer and material.

First things first, Not all ATI graphics cards have the cmos jumpers to flash the card, and I personally have only seen them on the x1600 series and above. This may have changed but to my knowledge that is still the same for all ATI cards. Secondly, reseting the bios of a graphics card does not guarantee it will fix any problems and it can even cause damage if done incorrectly. It is strictly a last option move to fix your card before sending it back for a new one or replacing it all together.

That being said let us begin. First you must open the case to and get access to your video card. The cmos jumpers on the x1600,x1650, x1800 series is on the top part of the card beside the fan power connector. The cmos jumpers look identical to the ones that would be found on a motherboard.

There are two ways you can go about reseting the bios,
Option A: While he computer is turned on and idle, switch the pins from their normal position, over to the jumper position(shift the black plastic tab from the two pins on the left to the two pins on the right) for about 5 seconds and then move it back to its normal position.
Option B: While the computer is off repeat the same steps as in Option A.
I have found that Option A seems to work more effectively, I don't know whether this has something to do with the way the cards bios' operate or what. But after doing so the bios should be reset to default settings and hopefully your card should be running as normal.