Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! SP2 Uninstall Disaster-

• Please log in to reply

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I dono't know if I'm just tired or doing somethinhg wrong, but it didn't work. I marked subfolders whenn I took ownership (which it looked like I already had anyway) , but still won't delete.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Maybe they're too big...open them and delete a handful of folders at a time. Then try to delete the folder.

Also, open the Program Files folder and delete the Adobe folder if it's there. Unless you have successfully installed Adobe already... :whistling:

If you are getting tired, we can finish this tomorrow.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I'll try a few at a time. I am not using MOB in safe mode. Should I be?

I am exhausted and would really like to finish tomorrow so I don't make any more dumb mistakes than I already have! Would that be alright?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Of course... :blink:

I should be around here someplace... :whistling:

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Good Afternoon.
WINDOWSO is now totally deleted. The strange part is that I cannot seem to find a folder just named WINDOWS anymore either.

There is no Adobe folder.

I have not installed any programs other than MOB. What is our next step?

Edited by Manners, 27 January 2007 - 03:39 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Perfect!! :whistling:

If you haven't installed SP2, do so now. Then install your AntiVirus program. Next will be Adobe...get a fresh download and disable your AVG during the download and the install process.

Let me know if you have any problems with Adobe.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I will do all of the Windows Updates now. Then I will install AVG and Adobe.

The only question I encountered when deleting was that I still have 3 Administrator accounts. All the rest, except for WINDOWS1 users, are deleted. I'm not sure which is which! Just leave them alone?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll deal with the Admin accounts in a bit...I want to get the Adobe installed before we mess with things too much.

Is the machine running good so far? Any quirky behavior?

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
So far so good. Updates took forever and a day! Adobe Reader installed with no problems. Ran AVG and it shows some "errors" from WINDOWSO, system32. Don't quite know how I could have missed anything WINDOWSO.

Here they are:
Kernel32.dll
wsock32.dll
user32.dll
shell32.dll
ntostrnl.exe
hosts

A couple of the programs I had installed with the first change of Windows - like firefox, sypware baster, etc. I just tried to uninstall and then deleted. Didn't want the files getting mixed up. I sure left a lot more this time. I think that is what ultimately caused the glitch with Adobe. I have not reinstalled them yet.

Computer was a little laggy on this last reboot, but seems to be fine now.

Looks like we are making progress.

Manners

Edited by Manners, 27 January 2007 - 08:13 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see if those errors came from the prefetch,

Click Start, then Run, type prefetch and click "Ok".

In the folder that opens, click "Edit" on the toolbar and choose "Select All". Right click on a file in the folder and choose "Delete"...accept the deletion.

Your next few boots will be a bit slower while this folder repopulates. Reboot a few times and let me know how it's running.

And yes, we may be about finished... :whistling:

Advertisements

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I don't see those folders by accessing Prefetch as above. Here are the addresses:

C:\WINDOWSO\System32\kernel32.dll
C:\WINDOWSO\System32\wsock32.dll
C:\WINDOWSO\System32\user32.dll
C:\WINDOWSO\System32\shell32.dll
C:\WINDOWSO\System32\ntostrnl.exe
C:\WINDOWSO\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

There are some files I did not delete from Programs, because of a fear of another Adobe type situation. That was also my MS Explorer problem. How big a problem is it if I don't delete?

As always, thank you.
Manners

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It shouldn't be a problem at all. Near as I can tell, these are just references to files that are missing.

How's the machine running?

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Super! No problems thus far. It is fast and responsive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you're all updated...go ahead and start installing your programs. MSN messenger may have installed with Windows, if not, you can get it HERE.

I would think that unless you run into problems installing your applications, which you shouldn't, we got a good fix this time. What say you?

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I think we did it! And it only took 9 days! I will run scandisk after I install programs. Thank you for sharing so generously of your time and knowledge. :whistling:
Manners