Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP! SP2 Uninstall Disaster-

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We're going to clean out the Program Files folder to prep it for reinstalling applications. Open Program Files and delete any folder that belongs to a program you have the install cd's for or that you can download. Delete all the Office folders except Outlook Express (Frontpage, Excel, etc...)

Do not delete:
  • InstallShield Installati... (hidden)
  • Internet Explorer
  • Outlook Express
  • Uninstall Information (hidden)
  • Windows Live Safety Center
  • Windows Media (three folders)
  • Windows NT
  • Windows Up... (hidden)
Then post another screenshot of the Program Files folder.

Advertisements

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I have uninstalled a lot and pm'd you the link to screen shots. I think all of these are from the old XP. I may be wrong. The only one on there I would sorta like to keep is Jamdat. The rest can all go if they need to. I tried to check property dates and quite a few look like they were created on the MN trip dates!!! Some I wasn't sure what they were, so left them for you to decide.

The following I couldn't get rid of:
Appoint 2K (have no idea what this is)
MSN gaming Zone
front page
net meeting
EZ button (I downloaded one yesterday with drivers & don't think this is it)
Xerox
Common Files
TH4 Metrics was created on MN date.

Is this AVG Rescue from old verion or new one I just downloaded??

IE crashed & hung half closed while I was in uploading to potobucket. Took a whhile to get it cloed.

I'm guessing the downloaded files, music, etc on Local are from the old XP.

Manners :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's what makes this so much fun! The Program Files folder is common to both installations at the moment. That looks much better!

Download and install Internet Explorer 7 and see if the problems with IE relent.

Download and install Move On Boot. We'll use that to remove the stubborn files before Windows starts.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I deliberately didn't install IE7 last night because, when I did before, I lost the use of IE6 & 7 totally, so only had use Firefox to get online. It was that way for months. Seems like lots of problems with IE7 for others too. I excluively use Firefox normally, but I need IE6 for viewing files with Mr. Sid on the NEHGS website. Not compatible wit IE 7. That's what started this latet dumb escapade of mine.

So, do I gotta?????? Should I download a new Firefox just in case?? I'll download Move on Boots now.

Sorry but Paranoia strikes VERY deep!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No, you don't have to so long as IE 6 works for Windows Updated. Definitely get Firefox. That's my browser of choice, anyway.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Should I wait to get rid of everything before I put Firefox in again? Do you think all of those wierdo IE files have caused the 3 IE crases today?
All 3 times have been while on Photobucket which has a lot of popups, even though they are supposed to be blocked. Lots of adware there, I'm sure!

Move on Boots is downloaded, but not opened yet. Tell me when.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
HJT didn't show any of those files as being installed to the new system registry, so I doubt that's the problem. You should be able to download and install Firefox at your convenience.

Open Move On Boot and simply follow the prompts to add one of the stubborn files, tell it to delete the file on the next boot, and reboot. See if the file is gone.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I will start with the program files. What about the long numbered pirate folder?? I would really like to see that go! Also MSO cache??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do the pirate folder first...let's see if MOB can get it.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Xerox and the 'Update" in the Pirate File refuse to go bye-bye. I'm not sure what the other files left are. A bunch seem to be left over Microsoft or...not?? I am uploading new screen shots. Is it possible to do something about all the different users? I have all the normal ones plus all the ones for WindowsO. That's a lot. Confusing!

Only other things bothering me are that the Media Controller driver is still missing and that Pirate "Update" File with access denied. I am just sure it is evil. (LOL) I would be very happy to see it go bye-bye.

I am now an extremely happy and grateful camper. :whistling:

Thank you for devoting so much time to this.

Edited by Manners, 22 January 2007 - 03:17 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you...my ISP decided to do some maintenance last night which left able only to look...not respond. I couldn't get back on until this morning. I have to work this morning, but will be back on a little later and we'll go after those bad files and remove the extra users.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Manners...

Let's try a couple of things on those stubborn files.

First, try removing them from the Safe Mode Administrator account.

If that doesn't work, try Taking Ownership of the files and then try to delete them again. As taking ownership of the files must be done in safe mode on XP Home, you can try this while you're there.

For the user accounts, if there is no data to recover from these accounts, you should be able to just delete them from the Documents and Settings folder.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
The Evil Pirate is Dead! :whistling:

Taking ownership was so easy!

I have posted some SS. I don't know what else should be there from the few programs I have installed, and what shouldn't. I'm sure that some are part of Office which I ave not yet installed. On the Common Files, I got rid of the obvious ones like Napster, and tried to go by dates created. But I have no idea if some others are integral to XP, AVG, Firefox, IE. Thought maybe you might be more familiar than I am with names.

I'll get rid of some unneeded users while I wait for your reply.

My machine wanted me to tell you that it feels very fast and happy to be back in business again.

I think we've almost done it!

Edited by Manners, 22 January 2007 - 06:59 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Would you mind sending another link to the screenshots?

Tell your machine it is very welcome...and that I didn't think you needed another paperweight. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Lookin' Good... :whistling:

Do you know where all the games and such in the JAMDAT Mobile folder were downloaded or installed from? If the answer is no, delete it. Other that that, I think we're done in this department.

What's left? Just the driver?