Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP! SP2 Uninstall Disaster-

• Please log in to reply

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I sent you the link. And...I don't mean to be a pain but.....I seem to have lost Microsoft Explorer (MSN6). The shortcut is there but it isn't. I don't use it but my daughter does. Can I get it back? If it is too much of a hassle, she'll just have to do without!

And, I gained a new Administrator account under docs and settings, with the new computer name on it. I think maybe I should just leave well enough alone when it comes to users!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
MSN Explorer :whistling:

Is that controller driver still missing?

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Thanks. Yes, driver is still missing. Here are the details. It says it is not installed, error 28.
PCI bus 1, device 2, function 0

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll try this with the Intel cd in the drive.

Open Device Manager and locate the device. Right click on the device and choose "Update driver". In the Wizard that opens, include the cd-rom drive as a place to search for it.

If it's not found there, try it again with the driver cd you have for the machine.

Once we get that driver back, all we have left is some cleanup.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My previous instructions were a little befuddled, I have made an edit... :whistling:

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
That was easy! It was found on the Intel CD.

Decided not to fool with anything having to do with IE. Especially since it comes with IE5. No MSN Explorer for me. I must have zapped it somehow after reinstall.

And the finish line is in sight! YEAH!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
MSN didn't install from the link I gave you? :whistling:

Cleanup time!

Click Start, point to All Programs, then to Accessories, then to System Tools, and choose Disk Cleanup. Run this to clean out the unused and temporary files.

Then boot into Safe Mode, go back to System Tools, and choose Disk Defragmenter. Run the defrag whether it says it needs it or not.

When this is done reboot into Normal Mode and let me know how the machine is running.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
This laptop runs like it did when it was new!! :whistling:

I decided not to install the MSN Explorer because it said it came with IE5, and I didn't want to conflict with anything. Plus, it takes up space. I thought it was included with XP, because it was there when I first reinstalled, but I must have zapped it. Hope Messenger works without it. Kids will go into withdrawl.

Again, I cannot thank you enough for your time, kindness, patience and expertise. You made my world a little better!

Manners
:blink:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You can download just the MSN Messenger if you need to...no sense in denying the kids their entertainment.

That was a bit of a toughy...you did very well. :whistling:

You are quite welcome for the assistance...take care! :blink:

wannabe1

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Hi Wannabe!

Its me again.

Just have a quick question. I'm having some difficulties getting some apps to download and install properly. Should I post to the software forum? I just didn't want to have to explain everything we did. And I think I could have possibly zapped things that I shouldn't have zapped...or not!! I was wondering if my registry could be screwy because of all of my deletes. I would be scared to death to mess with that!
Thoughts??

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The folders we deleted hadn't been installed to the registry. What programs are giving you problems?

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I am fearing I may have deleted some things that were not old. I tried to go by dates.

Can't download or install Adobe Flash player or Reader. Have tried all of te suggestions on their tech pages.
I know I deleted Adobe Manager, thinking it was from the old stuff. But when I did that, I had already downloaded programs I planned on installing when we were finished.
At that time, I didn't know quite how Adobe Downloads worked. Also, with Lizadtech Express Viewer, each page I go to requites another download of the program and Active X on IE. It never did that before.

That EZ Button we installed with the drivers doesn't work. Not sure if I need that anyway, but from what I could find out about it online, it is associated with wireless. Can I uninstall and then try to reinstall?

Sorry about all of the above. We already established early on that I am am "dangerous" because I have a little bit of knowledge! And I really don't want to do anything more stupid than I already have.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's start with Adobe.

When you try to install are you downloading the file and running it from your machine, or are you installing from the Adobe page?

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I've tried both. I can upload a screen shot of error on the old link. Is there a way to just put the SS on this message?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, there is.

Look under the reply box, under Post Options...In the File Attachments area, click "Browse" and browse to the image on your machine. Click the "Add This Attachment" button.
attach1.png
The File Attachments area will than look like this
attach3.png
Put the cursor where you want the image in the post and click the "Add into Post" button. You can click the Preview Post button to see that it looks right before adding the reply.

Your image will then appear in the reply as a clickable thumbnail. :whistling: