Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! SP2 Uninstall Disaster-

• Please log in to reply

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Adobe1.GIF untitled_1_edited.GIF

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try downloading and installing This First.

Let me know what it does...

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Same thing. Get same screens as above - both save to disc and open now.

Edited by Manners, 23 January 2007 - 06:32 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Control Panel and double click on "Add or Remove Programs"...is the Adobe Download Manager listed in the list of installed programs? If it is, remove it and reboot. Then try the download again. It should reinstall the Download Manager and then download Reader again.

Let me know how this goes.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
No, it is not there. I deleted it yesterday, thinking it was "old." Did it change something in the registry? Have tried re-installing it umpteen times, only get the same screens as above. Same thing for flash player.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you empty the recycle bin afterwards?

Try a System Restore to a point before you deleted it...System Restore is in System Tools.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Yes. If I do that, what will happen to the other programs that I have downloaded since?? Will I screw them up?
Should I remove all of them through control add/remove firsIf I do system restore, will that bring back the evil pirate?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Tell you what...let's take a walk in the registry instead... :whistling:

Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok".

In the left pane of Registry Editor, expand (click +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then Software, and right click on Adobe...choose "Delete" and accept the change. Collapse these keys (click -).

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, and right click on Adobe...choose "Delete" and accept the change. Collapse these keys (click -).

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Let me know if you find these keys or not.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
In the left pane of Registry Editor, expand (click +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then Software, and right click on Adobe...choose "Delete" and accept the change. Collapse these keys (click -).

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, and right click on Adobe...choose "Delete" and accept the change. Collapse these keys (click -).

[color=#FF0000]
HKEY_CURRENT_USER SOFTWARE: Adobe not listed.

H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE: Adobe Deleted.

Rebooted. Tried to download and install again. No go. Same error messages as above.

Anyplace else there to look?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Give me a bit to search my XP machine's registry. You may end up doing a system restore anyway.

Advertisements

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
OK. I am so sorry to even bother you with this, after all you have done.

Reader is super important to me. The Flash is what makes YouTube tick. Personally, I could care less about that one, but the rest of the family uses it.

If I have to do a system restore, I will uninstall first the normal way and then just go back thru what we did (our message history), in case "stuff" is still there.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This will probably take you a bit as Adobe adds quite a lot to the registry. I had hoped that deleting the main keys would get it going.

Open Registry Editor and, in the left pane, click on "My Computer". Then click on "Edit" on the toolbar and choose "Find". Type Adobe in the search box and tick all three search option buttons in the "Look at" box. Click "Find Next"...when it finds an entry delete it and press F3 to find the next entry. Delete every entry it finds.

Then reboot and try the download again.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
OK. Did that in safe mode as administrator. There were 3. Got rid of 2, but one refuses to go. It just does nothing when I hit delete. Tried re-downloading and same thing.

Is this getting as old for you as it is for me??? :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's more like a vendetta now... :whistling:

Let's do a repair install. This will leave the data and settings the way you have them and will not put those unwanted folders back. What it WILL do is give us a fresh registry and a new set of system files. This usually takes about half an hour to 45 minutes. You'll need the product key again and you'll need to do the windows updates again (sorry). Rather than having to download SP2 everytime you reinstall, download this IT Version and burn it to a cd.

Right after you install SP2, download the Adobe and see if the Download Manager installs first off.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I am downloading SP2 now. Will burn to CD. Just crashed & hung big time. Had trouble even getting task manager to open.

Tell me the steps to follow and I will go ahead and do what it takes. If you can't get back to me tonight, after I finish it all, I understand.

:whistling: Manners