Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP! SP2 Uninstall Disaster-

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

This will be much like what you did before, but we'll install to the same folder. Remember that your Windows folder is actually Windows0. Disconnect any printers, scanners, or flashdrives while you do this repair.

If you need help, I'll be right here.

Advertisements

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I'm doing everything as outlined. I am sitting on the collecting information page after the (1st?) boot during the process. It was doing fine, different screens telling me about all the wonderful aspects of XP and then it hit a screen and has been there for about 25 mins. Same 33 mins left to go and same screen with the same wonderful aspect. No changes. :whistling: The red lettering is on preparing installation. So, what to do??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Press Shift + F10

Do you get a command prompt?

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
yes

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is the prompt C:/Windows? I need to know where we're starting from so we can navigate to a log file and see what's hanging it up. It's hardware of some sort.

If it is C:\Windows, type setupapi.log, and press Enter. Look at the last thing in the list and post it here for me.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
#I121 Device install of "sw\{2F412AB5-ED3A-4590-AB24-B0CE2AA77D3C}\{9B365890-165F-11D0-A195-0020AFD156E4}"
Finished Sucessfully

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That didn't help much... :whistling:

Are any shown as failed?

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Yep. I'm still at the top of the list and have 4, so far. It will take me a while to copy by hand and then type into this other machine.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I'm a third of the way down and am seeing a pattern here. There are lots of repeats here.
#E249 Failed to apply security to file "C\Program files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\speech\sapi.dll". Error1307: This security ID may not be assigned as theowner of this object.

#W059 Selecting best compatible driver failed. Error 0xe0000228: There are no compatible drivers for this device.

#W157 Default installer failed.Error 0xe0000228: There are no compatible drivers for this device.

Then we get to the interesting one.
W104 Device ROOT\LEGACY_NDI SUIO\0000" required reboot: Query remove failed (install) cfgMgr32 returned: 0x17: CR_REMOVE_VETOED

Now that one repeats a lot too, except that everytime it repeats, it has another LEGACY_different names.

Thought I'd send this and I will continue checking out the rest. Amrunning back & forth between rooms. :whistling:

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
There are just soooooo many! Could we just try to start over?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Take you're time...we'll get back at this tomorrow.

So far it looks like it doesn't like the legacy drivers. Though your motherboard didn't seem to mind them. If that's what it turns out to be, we should be able to remove them from command prompt and get on with the install. You can turn the machine off when your's done...we'll probably get the same hang next time.

And now you know how to open a command session during an install...not too many know you can even do that. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...we can start over.

Another parallel install...this time name the directory WINDOWS and we'll be back the way it should be. The drivers will all be on the two disks you have. No bad files to worry about and your data is safe. Delete the Windows0 folder when we're done. Install the drivers and SP2 before anything else...then go to Windows Update and get the remaining criticals.

I can help you tomorrow. Without the bad files to sort through, it will go quickly. :whistling:

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Wow! To think I could have lived my whole life without knowing how to do that. Seems like it is most of the drivers. Do you want me to type out all of the error messages completely or just tell you what the problem is with. If you then ask, I can type out the whole error. I'm up to at least 30 and half-way through.

:whistling: It looks like most are the drivers which we installed from the disk. Remember? So it makes sense that they failed.
There are a bunch with the ROOT returned: invalid data

#E151 Coinstaller 2 of 2 failed. The class installer has denied the request to install or upgrade this device.

W154 Class installer failed. Error0XE000202: an existing device was found that is a duplicate to the device being manually installed.

The above is the very last "failed" entry! Right towards the bottom.

Let me know if you want me to type all messages in entirity.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No need for more...there's too many to deal with.

We'll get it back tomorrow...probably about two hours work without all the baddies to sort out.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Thanks. I think our messages crossed. I've about had it for today. If I sit here one more minute, I may smash the thing!

Thanks again and we'll start fresh tomorrow.