Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I use USB hub instead of port for mp3 player?

• Please log in to reply

Graham K Page

Graham K Page

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:whistling: I'm a techno dim wit who's just bought a Zen v plus but didnt know the difference between USB ports and hubs (still dont). My pc didnt recognise that the device was plugged in and on reading the docs I realised that they say "avoid hubs, use ports". I only have hubs. What can I do? If there is no solution can someone please enlighten me any way on the difference and why it doesnt work.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Are you plugging the zen directly into a computer USB port? These ports are usually located in the back next to the network and sound ports. Some computers also have front USB ports in the case that you can use. A hub is usually used to hook 2 or more computers to the internet thru one cable or DSL line. A usb hub is usually used so people don't have to mess around the back of the computer plugging in and removing devices all the time. Some time the power draw thru the "USB hub" is too much for the 1/2 amp devices need to run properly. I have some problems running Laptop hard drive external USB setup's sometimes.

If you are using these ports then you may have to install drivers for the computer to know what the zen is.

http://us.creative.c...d...p;x=23&y=14

It doesn't look like there are real drivers for the zen there but you can update the zen.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 18 January 2007 - 09:20 PM.