Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installed new power supply...

• Please log in to reply

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
...and now my slave drive does not show up in Explorer. I see it in Device Manager, and it says it is enabled and working, but I can't do anything with it. I went through the trouble shooting guide to no avail. Nothing else has changed.

I tried using "copywipe" to initialize it (it refers to disks as dsk0, dsk1, etc.), and it was working, but it was taking too long and I don't know if it would have helped the sitauation anyway, so I cancelled it.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi vinny_the_hack!

Go to START-->CONTROL PANEL. In the new window that appears, double-click on ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS and then double-click on COMPUTER MANAGEMENT. The COMPUTER MANAGEMENT window will now appear. In the list on the left side, click once on DISK MANAGEMENT under the heading STORAGE. Now look on the right side of the window and you should see all your hard drives and cd/dvd drives listed. Locate the one corresponding to the new hard drive and right click on it and select CREATE NEW PARTITION. The new partition wizard will now open, just follow along with the instructions.

Once your drive is finished being formatted, it will now be ready to be used and should be visible in MY COMPUTER. :whistling:

Fenor

NOTE -- THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE BASED ON THE FACT THAT THERE IS NO DATA ON THIS DRIVE THAT YOU NEED TO RECOVER, AND/OR THAT IT IS A NEW DRIVE. IF THERE IS DATA ON THIS DRIVE YOU NEED TO RECOVER FOR SOME REASON, THEN DON'T DO THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sorry was reading 2 posts at the same time. answered the wrong one.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 18 January 2007 - 09:07 PM.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Fenor,

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!

It is formatting as we speak. I use the disk to make a copy of my primary whenever I make system changes. In between, I put my personal files, e-mails, etc. (that are all in one folder) on a CD. If my primary ever crashes, I can recover everything.

Thanks again for your speedy and helpful response.

Vinny

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad it's working for you now! :whistling:

Fenor