Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

running 2 new HDS in raid 0 or 1 arry

• Please log in to reply

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
i've got 2 identical sata hd's and i'm thinking of running them in a raid 0 or 1 array

for raid 0 would i have to reinstall windows or could i just mirror my drive using seagates disc creator over to one them and have it run?

Raid 1 do i have mirror the drive twice so both roms are identical?

or should i jsut go for it and do RAID 10?

making the step from ide to sata what a pain both drives are 320gig but i ahve 120 Ide which i will profile jsut leave alone and put it away for safe and use it as a backup :whistling: but my raid 1 ? is to clear my thoughts and raid 0 is probly what i'm going for :blink:

thanks in advance

Also... both drives have jumpers that run them at 1.5g if ir emove them they run upto 3g should i leave the jumpers in and will my drive run cooler or should i risk it and remove the jumper and go for the highend speed? thanks

Edited by Mr.Logic, 19 January 2007 - 08:14 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Seagate's software only works with standalone drives, not drives that are part of a RAID array. You should be able to use Ghost though to achieve the same effect.

Regarding RAID 1, the specification of RAID 1 does the mirror automatically. RAID has no benefits or advantages in a home environment, it comes into its own in the workplace for servers and what not, but there's little or non speed increase over a standalone drive if that's what you're looking for.

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
sorry it took me so long i did some more reserch well alot i should i say and chose a raid 0 arry, raid1 take up alot of space when i can just use an internal ide drive which is old 120gig and well raid 10 is even worse so i'm very content with almsot 640gigs of storage pace on my C:\drive.

thanks for the help and info Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you're going for a RAID 0 setup, you need a strict backup routine and pattern, because when one of those two drives dies, you will lose everything.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah you are trading a large amount of data security for a tiny amount of performance that youll never need and to get a single large drive to appear and make you feel cool, when it comes to hard drives you generally want to divide them up for organisational and data security purposes.

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
i do i have 120gig western Digital IDE that i ahve been back stuff on 2 i looked at the risk and i know they are high but i don't have much data to worry about if it really important is backed up on a dvd r or rw so i'm not worried about data lose i've made sure all goodies are safe :whistling:

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
note down the road i'm thing of purchasing 2 more and filling my bays i'll have to get a bigger power supply but thats a big problem right now and i'll probly run them in a raid 3 or 4 or maybe 5 arry beings i can lsoe one drive and be ok what are your thoughts?