Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop tab does not appear in display properties

• Please log in to reply

mr.dimm

mr.dimm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I installed a new motherboard and now the desktop tab is not showing. I need to adjust my monitor settings and can't get there. I checked the microsoft site and followed their directions but I don't show a classicshell listing in the registry so I don't guess that fix applies to my problem. Any ideas?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Did you do a repair install of Windows after the motherboard install? You might try System File Checker. If you need instructions, let me know.

Check the video card in Device Manager. Is it installed properly with the latest drivers?

Here's a registry tweak from http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm. Go to line 285, right side. I don't know if it will help your situation. Always use extra care when editing the registry. Back the key or set a system restore before making any changes.

Please post the results, good or bad.

mr.dimm

mr.dimm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well,that didn't work.--- The device manager says that windows cannot initialize the device driver.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Please address the other items from Post#2:

Did you do a repair install of Windows after the motherboard install? You might try System File Checker. If you need instructions, let me know.

Here's a registry tweak from http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm. Go to line 285, right side. I don't know if it will help your situation. Always use extra care when editing the registry. Backup the key or set a system restore point before making any changes.

From Microsoft article 310123, here is the recommended solution for Error 37:
Code 37
Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)

Recommended resolution
The driver returned failure from its DriverEntry routine. Uninstall the driver, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall or upgrade the driver.
On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

Are you positive you have the latest drivers for the graphics card?