Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

question about internet speed

• Please log in to reply

megamyx

megamyx

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
like to know how to improve and enhance my internet speed & bandwidth. i use aDSL with a speed of around 800kbps to 1Mbps. anybody know how? do i need apps & softwares to do that?

hope i posted in the right forum, had no idea where to post.

Advertisements

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
First follow these steps to enhance your pc

Please follow these steps :

• Defrag your system. Disk fragmentation slows the overall performance of your system. When files are fragmented, the computer must search the hard disk when a file is opened. Disk Defragmenter consolidates fragmented files and folders on the hard disk so that each occupies a single space on the disk. This speeds up reading and writing to the disk. Read "The Importance of Disk Defragmentation" for instructions.

• Check for disk errors by running CHKDSK. CHKDSK can be run from the Recovery Console, the command prompt or through the Windows GUI.
To run chkdsk from the Win XP GUI see these instructions.
To run chkdsk from the command prompt see these instructions.
To run chkdsk from the Recovery Console see these instructions.
The problem with running CHKDSK from Win XP is that it will not check files that are being used by Windows. Using chkdsk in the Recovery Console with the /r switch is a way to resolve this.

• Check for damaged, altered or missing critical system files by running the System File Checker. If SFC discovers that a protected file has been damaged, altered or missing, it restores the correct version of the file from the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc and it may ask you to insert your XP Installation CD so have it available.

• Clean up your hard drive by removing unused programs and transferring old data, pictures, music files to a CD or an external hard drive. When you have moved/saved the files you want to keep, run Disk Cleanup and let it scan your system for files to remove. "Don’t clean out the Prefetch folder" - This is a common myth that will not improve performance.

• Check for any unnecessary running services. If you have a typical installation, many services are configured as "automatic"; that is, they start automatically when the system starts or when the service is called for the first time. Use "Black Viper's Services Configuration" to help fine tune this area.

• Check for any unnecessary applications loading at startup when Windows boots with MSConfig. Some startup programs are necessary so be careful what you disable. If you are unsure what any of the startup entries are or if they are safe to disable, then search one of the following Startup Databases:
Startup Programs Database
StartupList Index

Note: MSConfig.exe is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose system configuration issues. Although it works as a basic startup manager which allows you to enable/disable auto-start programs, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable startup programs.

A better alternative is to use a startup manager. If you have have Spybot S&D 1.4 installed, launch it, go to Mode and select Advanced. Then go to Tools, select System Startups. You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with any of them disabled. Other startup managers you can download and use for free are Startup Control Panel, Autoruns and Starter by CodeStuff.

• Remove any third party "Memory Manager" or "Optimizer". Windows XP memory management was designed to make the best use of Ram and these memory management utilities defeat that purpose. They push applications out of RAM into the pagefile, creating holes in the RAM and by doing so, slow down your computer.

• Disable some visual effects. While visual embellishments that may be attractive, they don’t do anything else for you. Disabling some of them frees up system resources and makes the operating system perform better. Right click My Computer, choose > Properties > Advanced, click on "Settings" under performance...UNcheck all the visual effects, except for the last three. Click "Apply", then "OK", then "OK" again. Then right click your desktop and choose > Properties > Appearance > "Effects...Uncheck the first two boxes and hit "OK".

Than download install and update Ccleaner
After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.
Run this scan twice per week

On a regular base clear your dnscache by "START RUN type cmd adter the prompt type ipconfig /flushdns
mind the bracket before the slash

How are you setup on safety software?(antivirus/-spyware/firewall?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

like to know how to improve and enhance my internet speed & bandwidth. i use aDSL with a speed of around 800kbps to 1Mbps. anybody know how? do i need apps & softwares to do that?

Just because your broadband is connected is at 800kbps to 1Mbps doesn't mean you'll be able to download at that speed.

Average download speeds for a 512kb connection is about 63k per second under ideal conditions. Therefore a 1Mb connection you will be able to download under ideal conditions 126k a second.

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I do hav a 1024Kbps connection but it usually limits itself at around 512-800 Kbps only. Is there any way to increase it? (I'd limited the reserveable bandwithch to 0%) mand it still won't enchance my connection performance

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I do hav a 1024Kbps connection but it usually limits itself at around 512-800 Kbps only. Is there any way to increase it? (I'd limited the reserveable bandwithch to 0%) mand it still won't enchance my connection performance

If this is your connection speed that you're referring to then this is usually an ISP issue. Some providers do it dynamically, others only offer you a full speed if your exchange isn't too full with other users.

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
If this is your connection speed that you're referring to then this is usually an ISP issue. Some providers do it dynamically, others only offer you a full speed if your exchange isn't too full with other users.
[/quote]

Yeah... maybe you're rite... the ISP's really stingy/ :whistling: