Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After re-installing XP, computer does not boot

• Please log in to reply

pucchini

pucchini

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Dear All

I need some urgent support.

I have a Dell Laptop (Latitude D510) which came with an installed version of Windows XP Pro. I earlier used this laptop in my office environment too, and then it was hooked onto a network. I never unhooked it from that network, even though I have been using this laptop for my personal use for sometime now.

As a part of unhooking it from the earlier network, I just decided to re-install the windows XP Pro with the CD provided along with the Dell laptop. Unfortunately, I did not backup my data before doing this.

After re-installing, here is the problem I am facing:

The computer starts up and then reaches the black screen and asks me to pick one of these options:

Safe Mode, Safe mode with networking, Safe mode with command promt, Last known configuration or Start normally.

Irrespective of which option I pick, it just shuts itself down and again starts up and asks me to pick one of the above options all over again. This keeps happening in a loop - again and again.

The only other information is, when I choose that windows should start in the safe mode; then it shows me the list of individual drivers that it is loading. It then stops for a bit when it is loading: "d346bus.sys"

That's when it stops and goes back to the loop again.

I am mortally scared of losing 80 GB worth of personal data on my laptop, collected over 6 years.

Any help on what I can do - and I would be immensly greatful.

Many thanks
Rajiv

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it have Daemon Tools installed

Which way did you reinstall XP

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
here some reading material

this came from deamon tools support

f you press ESC that is the way to cancel loading of bus driver, so if it still crashes if you press ESC, obviously it's not caused by Daemon Tools.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as you are using safe mode you can press esc to skip loading a driver

pucchini

pucchini

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I installed using the WinXP CD which came with the Dell system, when I bought my laptop. I did have Daemon tools installed, but did not use them to install windows XP.

Even when I press ESC, the computer still shuts down and goes back to the same loop again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you do it this way?

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

pucchini

pucchini

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry Keith - I am not sure I understood your question.

Is your question, if I did the way you described it in your post - then no. I had a running version of Windows XP, and I popped in the CD and started installing.

And then I reinstalled by first booting from the CD - but I didn't have to do much complicated things.

If it is your suggestion, that I should do it this way - I will try; but I am doubtful it will work. I have re-installed windows XP a couple of times now (by booting it from the CD) but it comes back to the same problem.

Many thanks for staying with me on this one

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you loaded the CD and clicked install, did it say windows is already here or did you use a leave system files intact option

As long as the repair goes exactly as per the guide, you can run that

pucchini

pucchini

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It said, Windows is already installed.

So the next step is to try and install it the way you described it in the previous post, right?

Rajiv

pucchini

pucchini

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Keith,

I did exactly what you suggested and re-installed Windows XP using the steps you had suggested. It does not change much. After installing Windows XP, the problem of coming back to the same window recurs.