Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Flash Drive - Getting I/O Device Error

• Please log in to reply

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I have a Sandisk Cruzer Mini 256mg. Has been working well for quite a while.
Recently plugged it into home Dell Dimension 4400 to download some virus scan programs onto the Dell.
When clicking on icon from My Computer, I eventually get the "couldn't perform the action because of an I/O device error." The icon is there under My Computer, but when check properties, it has no Used or Available space indicated. Both "0".
I plug it into other desktops at home (Compaq S4300x), and have no problem accessing or using the Cruzer.Tried using at work on a HP, and no problem there either.
When check Device Managment on D-4400, it appears to be recognized - no red or yellow checks.
Have had no success at first searches for solutiions or diagnostic procedures.
If other info needed please let me know.
Any help and direction is approeciated.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi ZiaMan!

It's very possible that the front USB ports on the Dell don't give out enough power to properly run the Flash Drive. Try plugging it into one of the USB ports on the back of the computer.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 19 January 2007 - 04:50 PM.

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks for the reply.
I recently installed a USB 2.0 4-port pci card and that is what I was hooking the Cruzer into in the back of the Dell. A Keyboard is now hooked there and it works fine.
I had been trying to a Linksys wireless network set up to this Dell computer from PC upstairs. No succes there yet, but would any changes associated with that installation attempt be somehow screwing up recognition at these USB ports?
On Friday, I reformatted the Cruzer and then added back all the files on to it. Got same I/O error afer hooking it in. Cruzer still works on other PCs.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I'm still betting that your computer doesn't have the power the properly run the usb device. Since you say it works fine on other computers, then most likely your computer just can't handle it. Adding a USB2.0 pci card to a computer with all usb1.1 ports, will not work most of the time because the computer is too old to properly run the device.

Fenor

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Update: I tried the orig USB 1.1 port on back of Dell and the Cruzer was recognized, and I can access the files on it. I get a pop-up message telling me that the Cruzer will work better connecting to a USB 2.0 port. System seems to know theat there are some USB 2.0 ports.
Fenor - A Question - in youir previous reply, are you saying that even though I've installed a USB 2.0 pci card, that the card will not actually be giving me the faster USB 2.0 resource, but only 1.1 on the PCI slot?