Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

helping a friend with malware via phone and IM

• Please log in to reply

jukes

jukes

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A friend online's computer is in such bad shape, he cannot even bring up a browser. (winXP sp2) Sometimes he cant access his email, and about the only thing that works is the Instant Message function. Through great difficulty over the phone I discovered a malware that had not come up on any of the online scans I sent him to do a couple weeks ago, nor in his spybotS&D scan. He kept getting a popup for SearchMiracle, and I looked that up and found to search for kalv found many instances. Deleting each did little good, they came back.

He tried downloading hijack this from a site, but everything froze up again. I was finally able to send him the hijackthis.exe through the aim window itself, and had him install it, run a scan and painstakingly send me the results four lines at a time.

I wanted to be sick when I saw smss, lsass.exe, winlogon.exe, svchost.exe, and a bunch of other stuff that is over my head.

If utilities are required for him, I pray that I can send them through the aim as files as I did with the hijackthis.exe, because he cannot maintain a browser window to click links and download anything. If a tool or utility is needed that cannot be sent through aim, then I would hope I could burn it to CD and mail it or something. This person cannot afford to take the machine to a shop.

Even though I was able to send him the hijackthis.exe through the IM, unfortunately the method didn't work for the AdAwareSE install. His machine froze at 26%.

His log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:57:09 AM, on 3/31/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\Omniserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\OPXPApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb08.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\137903\Program\BackWeb-137903.exe
C:\Program Files\Sierra Imaging\Image Expert\IXApplet.exe
C:\Program Files\interMute\SpamSubtract\SpamSubtract.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AMERIC~1.0\aoltray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AOLCOM~1\COMPAN~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\America Online 8.0\aol.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 8.0\waol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\download\(private)\HijackThis.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapp...rch/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://red.clientapp...//www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = home.netscape.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://srch-us9.hpwis.com/

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://us9.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapp...//www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: &EliteSideBar - {ED103D9F-3070-4580-AB1E-E5C179C1AE41} - C:\WINDOWS\EliteSideBar\EliteSideBar 08.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "c:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AutoTKit] C:\hp\bin\AUTOTKIT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet /keeploaded /nodetect

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Sunkist2k] C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb08.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickFinder Scheduler] "c:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 11\Programs\QFSCHD110.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WildTangent CDA] RUNDLL32.exe "C:\Program Files\WildTangent\Apps\CDA\cdaEngine0400.dll",cdaEngineMain
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [antiware] C:\windows\system32\elitexay32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BackupNotify] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\backupnotify.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIEW] rundll32.exe nview.dll,nViewLoadHook
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - Startup: Camio Viewer 2.0.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sierra Imaging\Image Expert\IXApplet.exe
O4 - Startup: HP Organize.lnk = ?
O4 - Startup: spamsubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\interMute\SpamSubtract\SpamSubtract.exe

O4 - Global Startup: America Online 8.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 8.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: AOL Companion.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL Companion\companion.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Updates from HP.lnk = C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\137903\Program\BackWeb-137903.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll

O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O16 - DPF: {37DF41B2-61DB-4CAC-A755-CFB3C7EE7F40} - http://esupport.aol....oach_core_1.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {A3009861-330C-4E10-822B-39D16EC8829D} (CRAVOnline Object) - http://www.ravantivi...n/ravonline.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{51818514-BD27-4427-AC21-C473228D0C28}: NameServer = 205.188.146.145

O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: OPXPGina - C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\opxpgina.dll
O21 - SSODL: mtklef - {739D4042-1866-4EEC-60AC-491596982899} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wfiutk32.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: AOL Spyware Protection Service (AOLService) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\\aolserv.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Softex OmniPass Service (omniserv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\Omniserv.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

Please help? and thank you in advance!

Advertisements

OldTimer

OldTimer

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 3,273 posts
Hi jukes and welcome to the GTG forums. Yes, we have a few items to clean up but I think we can do them all with HijackThis and the tools that your friend already has. Please have him/her proceed with the following steps in order.

Step #1

Start HijackThis and click the Scan button to perform a scan. Look for the following items and click in the checkbox in front of each item to select it:R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapp...rch/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://red.clientapp...//www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapp...//www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: &EliteSideBar - {ED103D9F-3070-4580-AB1E-E5C179C1AE41} - C:\WINDOWS\EliteSideBar\EliteSideBar 08.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [antiware] C:\windows\system32\elitexay32.exe
O21 - SSODL: mtklef - {739D4042-1866-4EEC-60AC-491596982899} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wfiutk32.dll (file missing)

Now close ALL open windows except HijackThis and click the Fix Checked button to finish the repair.

Step #2

Start in Safe Mode Using the F8 method:
  • Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
  • As soon as BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Options menu appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode menu item.
  • Press the Enter key.
We need to make sure all hidden files are showing so please:
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
  • Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.
Step #3

Find the following files/folders and delete them (don't worry if they are already gone):C:\WINDOWS\EliteSideBar\ <--folder
C:\windows\system32\elitexay32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wfiutk32.dll

Step #4

Next, let's clean up the temporary folders:
  • Click Start
  • Point to Programs
  • Point to Accessories
  • Point to System Tools
  • Click Disk Cleanup
  • Select the following items that are present and then click the OK button.
  • Temp Setup Files
  • Downloaded Program Files
  • Temp Internet Files
  • Debug Dump Files
  • Office Setup Files
  • Old chkdsk files
  • Recycle Bin
  • Temp Remote Desktop Files
  • Setup Log Files
  • Temp Files
  • WebClient temp files
Step #5

OK. Reboot your computer normally, start HijackThis and perform a new scan. Post your new log file back here using the Add Reply button and I will review it when it comes in.

OT