Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

overheating

• Please log in to reply

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
ever since my parents got a second HIGH powered pelletstove, their computers bios say its cpu is 61c BUUT they dont understand the atomic meltdown of a cpu. anyone qualified enought to convince them otherwise? i know im sweating to [bleep] and back :whistling: 28f outside
they dont believe me and the computer starts hanging up. so they blame it on me

Edited by AnthonyJ, 19 January 2007 - 03:53 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
simple....electronic devices + heat = death ... a CPU that's constantly over temperature will die quite quickly...and as you've seen...will cause the system to hang....the more times the system hangs while processing data...the more likely the HD is to get corrupted...meaning the more chances of those precious pictures of the kids going goodbye...

for some graphical representation...download speedfan (google it) and install it...that little flame icon that shows up next to the CPU temp will probably get the point across

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
yea i have speedfan running right now at 80% keeping it at 60c

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
here is a screeny
Posted Image

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You not only have temp problems you also have a power supply problem. Your 12 volt line is down to 10.88. Your just lucky the computer don't lock up or blue screen on you all the time. My athlon 2400 computer was locking up when the voltages were down around 11.7 or lower. Replacing the cheap power supply with a good ( but slightly loud) thermotake 430 watt unit fixed the problem.

SRX660

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
i forget the brand, i think its a ast??? something around that sort. i have ran quite a few programs, this, pc wizard 2006, few others. all having completly dif volts. 1 had 14v on 12v, on had 7v on the 12v, i think the programs just arnt all that compatible with the compaq