Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help cant delete file

• Please log in to reply

Klutz

Klutz

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey everyone im new to this place and I cannot delete and MPEG file I have any suggestions to delete this?

I get an error message when I try says im missing a file!

So please help as soon as ya know the answers thanks

Advertisements

user_name

user_name

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Welcome to the GTG forums Klutz,

I would suggest you consider trying to delete the file from safe mode (restart the computer while tapping F8), also, you could consider deleting the file in DOS if you have a working knowledge of DOS (Don't worry, MOST PEOPLE don't... just adding that in there for you if you did)

Also, you can right click on the file, select properties and make sure Read-Only isn't selected on the "General" Tab of the file properties, if it is, uncheck the box and try to delete the file once more.

What is the exact error your recieve when trying to delete the file?

Klutz

Klutz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When i right click I dont get the properties option

Klutz

Klutz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Also when I hit F8 to try and safemode it said could not find keyboard..

The error message that I get is "Cannot delete T-2149~1.MPG: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Where is the file (folder)

Also, try moving the file to a differnent folder, then deleting it.

earnie

earnie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi.....Before anything else this is my 1st post here.
I have a similar problem.
The file properties are odd.
Size is 0 kb
type of file just says file.
When i try to delete it i get the following message.
Cannot Delete File: Cannot read from the source file or disk.

The file cannot be in anyway moved, renamed, opened with notepad ect ect.

Its located in C:\My Downloads.
Could someone tell me the correct DOS command so i can try that method?
Cheers
Earnie

h3i

h3i

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i have the exact same problem as ubove, tried the DOS method, and when i performed dir in the correct folder, the file was not present and attemptign to delete it anyway failed.
i downloaded a warcraft replay, but got this small file with it, the replay was "ABCD.w3g" and this file is "ABCD." the replay worked perfectly and was deleted without any problems, but this small translucent file remains on my desktop.

/cry :tazz:

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
See if this works:
http://www.dougknox....etable_file.htm

Read carefully before acting please.

Regards,

Pieter

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
You can also try using DelLater

To DelLater A File...

1. Run dellater.exe <filename>
2. Reboot (whenever you like).
That's all that's required. After rebooting and logging in you'll be able to see that the file you specified is no longer there

Edited by Comnir, 20 April 2005 - 05:07 AM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Good one Comnir :tazz:

Another program you can try in these cases is Killbox:
http://www.bleepingc...les/killbox.php

For all these programs, be carefull what you delete.

Reards,

Pieter

Advertisements

h3i

h3i

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you all thus far for your attempts to help. To my disappointment the file remains on my desktop.
Its a purely cosmetic problem as the file is having no adverse affects on my computer, but it does look ugly.
The reason (i think) that the methods ubove failed to work, is that the file does not actually appear in a dir of c:/xyz/desktop. Killbox was also unable to delete the file, because it could not be found.
The file itself has a translucent unknown file icon. Aswell as this the file properties show it as having exactly 0 size and no creation, modification and last accessed date.
The file orginally came with the Read-Only box checked. Despite being given a "System cannot find specified file" error, i was actually able to change the file to display as non-read-only, however i can no longer edit it back to a read-only file.

Im posting now merely out of curiosity and appreciate any further effort to help solve this mystery, bearing in mind it is not exactly urgent and i fully understand if you all have more important geeking to do for other PC victims.

Reards :tazz: h3i.

Edited by h3i, 21 April 2005 - 09:25 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
First, you should always start your own thread.....

second, reboot into safe mode, command line, then navigate to the directory and run a DIR command, does the file show there?

h3i

h3i

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry for not creating my own thread, as u can tell im new here, and i thought we were all kinda on the same topic :/

If its not ok for me to continue to discuss my specific problem here please let me know. However since u gave me some advice i think its probably ok :tazz:
I tried what u suggested and no, the file does not appear in a DIR while windows is in safe mode.

I tried using IE to view my desktop and there the file appeared, with more information than when viewing it directly on the desktop. It gives the file attributes as: Hidden, System. It also displays a creation and last modified date, where properties does not.

I know exactly when and how the file came to be on my desktop, i just dont know how to get rid of it.

Thanks again.

Edited by h3i, 21 April 2005 - 12:01 PM.

javiergil

javiergil

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
COuldent it be , because file is corrop or somethng?

gordo

gordo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You may need to edit the system directly and tell Windoze that the file is deleted. The only software im aware of is omnixray. runs under dos to get access to the NTFS windoze. I think they have a demo available, but the demo does not allow you to write to the drive.

gordon