Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

• Please log in to reply

tubui

tubui

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Posted Image

I got this error randomly.. What is it, and how can I prevent it.

I recently opened a port for Warcraft 3 FT... I never got this before until then.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Next time the error occurs, click on the "click here", and write down what it says there. You can also look in the event viewer to see if there are any yellow or red question marks there. double click on them to see what they say also. Post the information here.

This could very well be caused by a game, especially a on-line type. I would download windows worms door cleaner so you can close any offending ports to see if it stops the problem.

http://www.firewalll...er.com/wwdc.htm

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 19 January 2007 - 08:11 PM.

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
I tried this http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en hotfix but it still happens. It usually occurs after I host a game in Warcraft III - Frozen Throne.. Heres more info..

Posted Image

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres something you might look into.

http://www.microsoft...n/MS06-040.mspx

And at another website the dump file show this( partial file copyed).

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

EventType : BEX P1 : svchost.exe P2 : 5.1.2600.2180 P3 : 41107ed6
P4 : netapi32.dll P5 : 5.1.2600.2180 P6 : 411096ac P7 : 0000a3c0
P8 : c0000409 P9 : 00000000

C:\DOCUME~1\CAI\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2­ 276.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\CAI\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2­ 276.dir00\appcompat.txt

GSFAILURE_CORRUPTED_COOKIE: 41414141 [ 006df8a8 ]
Executing !gs:
Corruption occured in netapi32!CanonicalizePathName or one of its callers
Real canary at 0x5b8ae174 (netapi32!__security_cookie): 0x00001559
Canary at gsfailure frame 0x00001559
Corrupted canary 0x006df8a8: 0x41414141 <=== CORRUPTED CANARY
Function uses no exception handling
Callee-saved register size = 0 (0x00000000)
EBP = 0x006df8ac, ESP = 0x006df48c, delta = 0x00000420
EBP/ESP appear correct. (EBP-ESP) matches local storage set up in the function prolog

Function netapi32!CanonicalizePathName:
Funtion has no locals
no candidate buffer found

So maybe the microsoft file will fix your problem. It could also be someone sending you a corrupt cookie to try taking control over your computer.

If someone is trying to control your computer then use the firewall leak tester to close some of your ports stopping them from trying to access your computer.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 20 January 2007 - 06:10 PM.

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
What file do I download?

This only happens when I host a game in Warcraft III - The Frozen Throne.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, this is the only one for XP for the update.

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

If you are talking about the firewall leak tester then just below the picture is "wwdc.exe in orange letters. You could click there to download the program, then double click on the file to install it. Watch where it gets installed so you can go there and open it up. Theres a tutorial on the website there.

http://www.firewalll...wwdc_manual.htm

SRX660

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Okay, I will try tomorrow but listen, this usually happens while I am playing a game in Warcraft III - The Frozen Throne. (I recently open my ports, etc, to allow to host games in W3, then I get this error)

Also, after getting this error, my sounds get messed up, they don't work anymore, say I play CS after W3, my sound doesn't work.

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
What do I do with the firewall tester?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
With the firewall tester you can close ports which should stop anyone from sending you a corrupt cookie, or a cookie with code incorporated in it that causes your error. You can try closing one port at a time and seeing if the problem you have goes away, or by closing the port more or different problems crop up. It is just a method for you to control what ports are open and closed on your computer.

SRX660