Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

a little bit of Oddity here(resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
here is the deal gang,

I was doing a little registry tweaking using TweakUI from MS Powertools. that strange thing is that I didn't touch anything dealing with the files/folders in the machine. anyway thanks to a unstable tweak that I was following from well known tweaking site, I ended up restoring my computer to a previous date and time.

Now the strange part, when I open my menu bar, a few of my programs that were there have the generic icon.
Posted Image
This happened to my Macromedia products too. If I click on the program in the startbar and choose properties, the change Icon button is grayed out so I can't use that to change them. Is there anything I can do to repair these icons without having buy software that will allow me to and without having to reinstall the programs?

Edited by Dragon, 20 January 2007 - 09:18 PM.

Advertisements

justjohn86

justjohn86

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi. Whenever that happens to me, I just recreate the program file shortcuts from the .exe files in the target directory. Dunno, might be more serious than that... anyway.

John

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Those icons have been unregistered. That is, they did not exist in that location at the point to which your system was restored. As the previous post suggested, it is necessary to recreate those shortcuts if you want them in that location. In doing so you will once again register the location with XP and all will work as expected. Not really a problem, this is just how it works.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts

Those icons have been unregistered. That is, they did not exist in that location at the point to which your system was restored.

Actually they have been on my machine for almost a year now. and the restore point I used was only 12 hours old. so they did exist at the restore point.

I'll go about reinstating the short cuts and see if that works. I'll kep you posted on it.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
well I finally figured out how to do it, what a PITA that is. I have made a note to remind myself how to do this in case I need to do it again in the future.

For anyone else that runs into this kind of problem here is how I did it.

click on My Computer->Documents and Settings->All Users->Start Menu->Programs

copied new shortcuts to my desktop by finding the EXE file in C:\Program Files\{program folder} right clicking on it and choosing send to desktop

right clicked on the shortcuts on my desktop and renamed them, just removed the "shortcut to" part
then I copied them to the corresponding program folders in C:\My Computer\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs folder.
If there was a minor change to the file name I just deleted the original shortcut in the folder, but if the name was the same it offers to automatically replace the shortcut.

Thanks Guys

Edited by Dragon, 20 January 2007 - 09:24 PM.