Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop vs. desktop

• Please log in to reply

joely79

joely79

• Pip
  • 7 posts
We want to be able to:
-surf the web very quickly
-check email quickly
-photo processing (possibly creating slideshows)
-design and create websites

And possibly if it doesn't cost too much extra:
-use it to show DVDs/television/play music at a high
quality

Do you recommend we get a laptop or desktop? We
want mobility, but we will be staying in one house,
one place for awhile. We want mobility if it means it
only costs about $300 extra. We don't want mobility if
it means our computer is obsolete in a few years. Some
people have advised us that a $2200 laptop would be
obselete in 3-4 years, so I can only guess that one
which costs less would be obsolete faster. Others have
said that laptops can be upgraded, not as much as
desktops, but somewhat. What do you think?

Is there any difference between a laptop and
desktop for using DSL and the speed of the the
connection

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
HOW MANY THREADS ARE YOU GONNA MAKE lol. you shoulda put it all in one, thats why there is a edit function :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. I'm a desktop person. I won't lie to you, it's a royal pain to upgrade laptops. Laptops were not made to be upgraded, except for RAM. everything else is pretty much a "hands off". Yes, that laptop will probably be obsolete in a few years time, especially with Vista coming out. A desktop can be upgraded many times, for virtually any part, and stay in competition. Not to mention they last longer just by nature anyway. If you're going to spend that kind of money, don't buy a laptop that will probably die in about 3-5 years anyway. They usually only last that long. You can get much more power for the money with a desktop.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I personally have 2 desktops and a laptop. The upgradeability of a desktop is absolutely vital if you are a gamer/ high end user. However since I got my laptop I have spent ninety percent of my time on it. It is not a high end laptop, a very simple low end laptop. The only time I ever go to my desktop is to bang away on some games. Depending on how much you are willing to spend. I paid 650 for my laptop and you can buy a simple desktop for 500 or a little more. That might be one option is to get a cheap desktop and laptop use the laptop and then transfer to the desktop. I like the solid capability in a desktop and the great mobility in a laptop. So wherever possible, get both and enjoy:)

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I'm with StormKnight. Desktops are much better than laptops, don't break down as often and are cheaper to repair. But they aren't portable.

I've heard of laptops lasting less than 2 years. You can always fix a desktop. If you get a laptop, the 2 year extended warranty is mandatory in my opinion. The sound on my Gateway laptop failed just after the 12 month warranty. The only way to get it back was to replace the motherboard. Fortunately I took out the extended warranty so it just cost me shipping and insurance to get it repaired.

If you want XP, you had better hurry. According to Adam Cochran, they need to clear the xp units out and get ready for Vista. Over on helpmerick.com, they aren't impressed with Vista.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I i would defininatly agree with stormknight6...

but, laptops arent all that bad. if you like to upgrade your computer and stay in the compition, then get a desktop. if you are a business type person who is constantly on the move and still want power in a machine, then buy a $2000+ laptop. But, it will be really bad in a few years.
also, i dont think anyone should buy any computers latley till VISTA comes out, that whole EXPRESS INSTALL thing... is jsut really crappy... and i dont think its gonna be good. so. yea... also apparently you arent one of those businessy type of people.... just spend about $1000 on a good desktop and you will be good to go for a few years... in fact, you should jsut build one... lol

P.S. mind my grammar and spelling, my hands are dead from the construction work i did a few days ago...

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, I would have to agree with macten, but on another level. Wait until Vista comes out, otherwise your machine becomes obsolete very quickly. On another level, it's going to take a while for Microsoft to fix all the bugs and such. I hate being some of the first to get a new operating system. You're a guinea pig until it's all fixed. My advice, hold off for a bit to buy, especially for a laptop. You can't keep those current with today's technology like you can a desktop, so wait until you really need it to buy.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
SO AGREED :whistling: :blink: :help: